PDA

View Full Version : Map My Building Computers

JimC
10-30-2006, 10:49 AM
I am trying to figure out how I can generate a visual map of a building for my computer locations. The building reference system is like column 1A to Column 15Z. Each device has a coordinate location such as Columns A2. There are hundreds of computers, and different types of computers, such as Business PC and CATIA PCs. I would like to be able to read in the list of coordinates and other reference information, such as username, and type of device, and have it appear on the screen at the location of the coordinate.
I would also like to be able to select or hover over the point and display the information related to that point. And the PCs should have a color/symbol that is different from the CATIA work stations, etc.

Anyone seen anything like this anywhere? I thought of using an Excel line chart so I could generate a custom axis for the letter coordinates, but it did not scale correctly? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated?
Thanks? Jim C. Excel 2003 on Windows XP professional is the platform.. :dunno

mdmackillop
10-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi Jim
Welcome to VBAX
Can you post a small sample of how you would like it to appear. I assume all the data can be stored on sheet 2, certain of which will appear on Sheet 1 (Cols A - D for example), further information (Cols E-H) could appear as a comment. Is this the sort of thing you're after?
You can post a workbook using Manage Attachments in the Go Advanced section .
Regards
MD

Bob Phillips
10-30-2006, 01:27 PM
I would use Visio.

JimC
11-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi Jim
Welcome to VBAX
Can you post a small sample of how you would like it to appear. I assume all the data can be stored on sheet 2, certain of which will appear on Sheet 1 (Cols A - D for example), further information (Cols E-H) could appear as a comment. Is this the sort of thing you're after?
You can post a workbook using Manage Attachments in the Go Advanced section .
Regards
MD
Thanks for the quick reply. Here is a short look at what I am trying to do... I can't seem to get close to the end result I am looking for...

Any help would be appreciated... I uploaded a spreadsheet with some example data and ideas of what I am trying to do.. xld suggested visio.
THANKS! Jim C.

SamT
11-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Jim,

I'm not real clear on what it exactly is you want. . .But I'll talk like I was, anyway.

Mapping a Floor: on the floor sheet, set column width to about .5 and Row height to about 5, this should give you (it does me) a grid about 100 cell wide visible.

I noticed you set up your map with 30 horizontal units.

Using Borders, draw a map of the floor 3 or 4 cells to a distance unit. Indicate locations of the posts, (assuming I'm right that the post designators are your "landmarks,") with colors or Shapes. Use TextBoxes to place readable words on the map

Back to the Hardware types sheet, use VBA to add any pertinant info to the location Cell's Comment Property. Use cr/lf's to delimit the data. Remember to use three (or 4) cells per unit of location/distance. ie 30 feet = 90 Cells.

Add code to Color and Activate the cell representing the selected hardware or Place a Shape on the Cell if you want different icons for different computor types.

For two or more computors in the same location, offset the reference cell by 1. Define Names for the Cells so you can later refer to them without tryin to figger out any offset scheme.

Hoping this has been of some assistance,

SamT