PDA

View Full Version : how can I display Japanese character in vba?

dokidoki323
11-01-2006, 06:38 AM
I am writing a VBA program in Excel 2003 and with windows xp os. I wanted to include Japanese characters in my program but without any success. The only thing I got was "???". I am very frustrated on this :banghead:. Does anybody know what I should do? ... :(

Bartek
11-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Hi,

I am writing a VBA program in Excel 2003 and with windows xp os. I wanted to include Japanese characters in my program but without any success. The only thing I got was "???".
You have to install Arial Unicode font - it include Japanese characters and many others. Unicode font is a part of MS Office. It is not installed by default, but you may easily install it via Control Panel:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287247

dokidoki323
11-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi Bartek,

Many many thanks for offering help to me. I have tried your method and have installed Arial Unicode font successfully. However, the problem is still there. I have tried to select Arial Unicode font for the whole worksheet but still only "???" appears. I forgot to mention that my window xp is a English/Chinese version. Do you think if it is a problem?

Thanks again! :bow:

Bartek
11-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Hi,

However, the problem is still there. I have tried to select Arial Unicode font for the whole worksheet but still only "???" appears.

This problem has probably little to do with Windows regional settings. Arial Unicode allows display Japanese characters, however the problem you encountered may be due to the fact, that characters in your worksheet do not match respective characters in Unicode.

Check out whether you could view Japanese characters on any Japanese web page - if your computer displays them correctly, the problem lies is how Japanese characters are coded in your worksheet.

dokidoki323
11-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi Bartek,

Thanks for your advice. I have tried again but still no luck. I have inserted some Japanese characters in arial unicode fonts into the worksheet and then used MSGBOX from the vba to display the characters but still only "???" was displayed. I have one last question if you don't mind. Could you tell me how I can use arial unicode fonts in my vba codes so I can do my last trial?

Thank you!
:bow:

Emily
11-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi dokidoki323
I think you can read Chinese, you need to select writing style in VBE windows

dokidoki323
11-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi Emily,

Appreciate your help. I have tried that already but still got "???". I have attached a testing excel file and a screen capture for your reference. Could you check if your computer can display Japanese characters if you run the testme code? Or if it is possible, could you attach a simple excel file with vba code that can display Japanese characters properly?

Thank you!
:bow:

dokidoki323
11-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Sorry Emily, please find attachment of the screen capture for your reference. Thanks.

dokidoki323
11-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi Emily, here is my testing file. Thanks.

Emily
11-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Hi dokidoki323

I think you cannot change font in MsgBox, try

CreateObject("Wscript.shell").popup Range("A1")

Regards
Emily

dokidoki323
11-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Thank you Emily!

You are a star! I have tried it and it is working now. :rotlaugh:

jindon
11-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi
Try (for XP)

[Control Panel] - [Date, Time, Lauguage and Regional Options] -
[Regional And Language Options] under "or Pick a Panel Control icon"

Now you get Regional and Language Options dialog...
[Language] - check the box for "Install East asian Languages" under Supplimenta language support

This will install the language files...

Click on "Details" under Text services and input language option Then click on "Add"

If need to install "IME"-Input Method Editor, you need more steps....

HTH

Emily
11-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Hi jindon

I have added Japanese IME but still display ??? in MsgBox

PS. We need to retain our default language

jindon
11-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Hi jindon

I have added Japanese IME but still display ??? in MsgBox

PS. We need to retain our default language

Have you ticked on Japanese from the list when you are in Regional Options?

Emily
11-07-2006, 04:14 AM
Have you ticked on Japanese from the list when you are in Regional Options?

Yes, I did

jindon
11-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Hi Emily

Well, that's what I've done when I was using Eng version of Excel.....

Sorry, but I don't understand it...

dokidoki323
11-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi Emily,

I wonder if you have solved the ??? problem already. Your solution for displaying Japanese text with window script was great. However, I still need to use an INPUTBOX for entering Japanese characters. Again, as soon as the Japanese characters were entered, they became ??? again. What a difficult problem I have! Hope you can give me a hint on this.

Thanks a lot!
: pray2:

Emily
11-13-2006, 04:55 AM
dokidoki323, please visit the link below. The add-in may be useful (Not tested)

http://www.h3.dion.ne.jp/~sakatsu/ktMsgBox_Series_English.htm

dokidoki323
11-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Hi Emily,

I have tried the link you gave me and it worked perfectly!!! You are my savior!!! :thumb I am so pleased with it. :whistle:

Many Many Thanks!
:clap:

Murshitha
11-09-2022, 05:00 AM
Hi emily,

Hope you are doing good!
I am also facing the same issue, could you please reshare the link as im getting an error when i tried to load the link..