PDA

View Full Version : Am I breeching ethics?

Aussiebear
11-03-2006, 06:37 PM
I have recently purchased an excel based budgeting spreadsheet which I'm basicily happy with, except it only allows me 46 categories to enter my expense types in. What I am looking for it a method so that I can expand the number of catergories to the users desire.

For example in the spreadsheet it suggests using the following: Motor Vehicle expense, Fuel & Oil, Repairs. Since I own ( or part own) 4 motor vehicles plus a motor cycle, I'd like to break down the costs to an individual vehicle basis, which means I'll be using approximately 25 lines of the 46 available. ( Rego, Insurance, Fuel & Oils, Repairs & Maintenance).

There is no code behind the sheets at all, since it is just forumla based. Am I breeching ethics by firstly wanting to improve the performance to suit my needs, and secondly how can I get the necessary advice on what could or should be done, without posting the spreadsheet on the net?

The author has done a fine job on the spreadsheet, but it needs a bit of tweeking for my accounting needs.

Ted

Ken Puls
11-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Am I breeching ethics by firstly wanting to improve the performance to suit my needs...

I don't think wanting it to be different is a breach of ethics. :)

...and secondly how can I get the necessary advice on what could or should be done, without posting the spreadsheet on the net?

The author has done a fine job on the spreadsheet, but it needs a bit of tweeking for my accounting needs.

Why don't you email the author and tell him exactly that? You never know.. he may help out, or he may not. That would be my first step if I were in your position.

Aussiebear
11-03-2006, 07:16 PM
I've bought Ver 3, and none of the previous versions have used vba at all. I'll write to him and see.

mdmackillop
11-04-2006, 04:59 AM
Hi Ted,
Why not do a PasteSpecial to remove the formula and post the non-functioning spreadsheet. If it's some vba functionality you're after, we may not need the detail.
Regards
MD