PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Only you and no one else

ndendrinos
11-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Hello
I read a lot on how to try and protect againt save, save as,etc...
My goal is this:
I send you a file and only you can use it.
If you choose to make a copy on diskette or other and give it to someone else the file will not work on his or her computer.

Possible solution ... this is where I need you input.
Before I send you the file I ask that you give me the "path" of you desktop.
Mine is : C:\Documents and Settings\nick dendrinos\Desktop\test.xls

On open If path not above then workbook close.
The VBA is password protected .... this is already in place
The file will self destruct after a certain date....this is already in place

Is this possible ? is there a better way you can think of ? And if possible when on a computer other than the one it is intended to work how can the VBA be stopped from opening ? will it open where the error is BUT still ask for a password?

Thank you for your time

Charlize
11-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Maybe use a one time macro on opening the sheet. When this happens, place an ini-file or something in his directory. When copying the sheet, the macro for making this ini isn't there so start up of workbook will fail because this ini isn't present. So your friend wouldn't know it that you are willing to share your work with him but not with his friends.
Charlize

ndendrinos
11-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Thank you and great idea Charlize .... much better than asking for "path"

I know how to make a macro run once on open BUT I use the self delete for that.... and ini. file I have no clue...so unless I get help with the code
can I call a short macro on open (something trivial not even visible) and have that macro self destruct after a certain number of days instead ?
Thanks
Nick

Bob Phillips
11-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Use the registry.

Look at GetSetting and SaveSetting in VBA help.

ndendrinos
11-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Thank you xld ... looked at the VBA help and came up empty ...

I like Charlize's idea (because I understand some of it)
What I'm working on is an on open macro that will call a sheet macro ...
And I can't get it to work
Here is the file

AND IF I COPY THE WORKBOOK THE SHEET MACRO IS PART OF THAT COPY .... so not a good idea.

mdmackillop
11-05-2006, 03:03 PM
GetSettings and SaveSettings example
http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=208

ndendrinos
11-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Thank you mdmackillop I would prefer to leave the registry alone ... I have done some progress but now need code for this:
On open look for folder LogFiles in"C\"
If not there ,,, application.quit

Here is what I have so far ,,, I will make the initial macro that creates the folder LogFiles in C\ self destruct when the workbook is opened the first time ever ... Charlize refers to a one time macro ... does anyone have code for this ?

johnske
11-05-2006, 03:43 PM
...I will make the initial macro that creates the folder LogFiles in C\ self destruct when the workbook is opened the first time ever ... Charlize refers to a one time macro ... does anyone have code for this ?That's easy - but you already said the VBA project's password protected, so that's not gonna work... :devil2:

ndendrinos
11-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Hello John, Not sure I understand why it would not work if the VBA is password protected. The initial macro that creates the folder LogFiles will self destruct leaving the folder LogFiles on the user's C\ intact.
Next time the user opens the file an additional macro will check for LogFiles and if not found the file will close.
The problem in my mind is how to have two on open macros.
Can you elaborate more please?
Thank you

johnske
11-05-2006, 04:10 PM
For security reasons you cannot programmatically change any code in a code pane in the VBE window when the VBA Project is password protected. So you can only delete the macro when the project has been left (sent out) unprotected.

If you have an additional macro that you want to keep to check for a log file, this macro is also then unprotected and all the info regarding the log file is visible to anyone that cares to look. :)

johnske
11-05-2006, 04:25 PM
PS: Of course, you can always send it out unprotected with a macro to delete the procedure or module to be deleted and then programmatically lock it afterwards. But the only way I know of to do this is with SendKeys - as shown below - and that's unreliable... Option Explicit

Sub LockVBAProject()

With Application

'//execute the controls to lock the project\\
.VBE.CommandBars("Menu Bar").Controls("Tools") _
.Controls("VBAProject Properties...").Execute

'//activate 'protection'\\
.SendKeys "^{TAB}"

'//CAUTION: this either checks OR UNchecks the\\
'//"Lock Project for Viewing" checkbox, if it's already\\
'//been locked for viewing, then this will UNlock it\\
.SendKeys "{ }"

'//enter password (password is 123 in this example)\\
.SendKeys "{TAB}" & "123"

'//confirm password\\
.SendKeys "{TAB}" & "123"

'//scroll down to OK key\\
.SendKeys "{TAB}"

'//click OK key\\
.SendKeys "{ENTER}"

'the project is now locked - this takes effect
'the very next time the book's opened...
End With

End Sub

ndendrinos
11-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Password = max
You are right ,,, can I on open (on an unprotected VBA) run the code and then protect the VBA by adding code to the macro kills self ?
Here is test3 that does not work for the reason you have explained.

John I respect your opinion . If what I wish to do is not possible can you suggest something else besides fooling around with other people's regisries? If not I will call it a night.
Thank you again and thank you all

johnske
11-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Seems you were replying when I posted my PS :)

ndendrinos
11-05-2006, 05:08 PM
John thanks a ton !
Works great for me ... if you are still watching my posting in what way do you feel it is unreliable? what I mean is this is a one time thing... once the VBA is locked is there a chance it will unlock all by itself ?

And to all I still need code to :
On open check if folder LogFiles is there and if not application=quit

Thank you ALL

johnske
11-05-2006, 05:33 PM
John thanks a ton !
Works great for me ... if you are still watching my posting in what way do you feel it is unreliable?I don't have a very great deal of experience with SendKeys and i've never had it fail yet, but the consensus of opinion is that using SendKeys to do things is regarded as being "unreliable" - so I just tend to go along with that

...what I mean is this is a one time thing... once the VBA is locked is there a chance it will unlock all by itself ?..No

ndendrinos
11-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Good enough for me John ... And thanks again.

I do not mark this "solved" yet... need to solve the :
" On open check if folder LogFiles is there and if not application=quit" part.
It's been a fun evening and I learned something ... I'll leave while I'm ahead and will revisit tomorrow.
Thank you all

johnske
11-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Good enough for me John ... And thanks again.

I do not mark this "solved" yet... need to solve the :
" On open check if folder LogFiles is there and if not application=quit" part.
It's been a fun evening and I learned something ... I'll leave while I'm ahead and will revisit tomorrow.
Thank you allYou'll find all the bits and pieces for doing that here (http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=475)

johnske
11-05-2006, 08:41 PM
... in what way do you feel it is unreliable? ...Regarding your question above, I found this (http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=820269)...

...The main problem with SendKeys is that the code usually runs faster than Windows can carry out the required activity - this is especially so if manipulating an external application or opening a dialog box or menu. We therefore need to slow the action down by using Wait statements. SendKeys also has its own "Wait" argument True or False...and in the VBA Help files regarding SendKeys: Wait Optional Variant. True to have Microsoft Excel wait for the keys to be processed before returning control to the macro.

Charlize
11-06-2006, 05:05 AM
This will check for presence of a file :
Sub check_for_file()
If Dir("C:\Logfile.txt") = Empty Then
MsgBox ("File doesn't exists")
Else
MsgBox ("I'm present so go ahead")
End If
End Sub
Charlize

ps.: Maybe change the attribute of logfile.txt to hidden.
Regarding the one time thing. You could use a hidden sheet named configuration. If that sheet exists create the logfile and delete the sheet, else goto the check of the file.

Charlize
11-06-2006, 05:46 AM
A little function and demo to show what I mean.
Function SheetExists(SheetName As String) As Boolean
' function to determine if a sheet exists or not
SheetExists = False
On Error GoTo NoSuchSheet
If Len(Sheets(SheetName).Name) > 0 Then
SheetExists = True
Exit Function
End If
NoSuchSheet:
End Function

Sub check_for_sheet()
' First check for logfile and then for sheet
' if logfile exists then it's ok
' maybe case statement will work to
' the sheet Configuration is a xlveryhidden sheet
If Not SheetExists("Configuration") Then
MsgBox ("You haven't got a licence !!!") & vbCrLf & _
"If you want a working copy, contact me !!!"
Else
' Here you create the logfile and delete the sheet
MsgBox ("A first time activating workbook !") & vbCrLf & _
"Please wait until ready !!!"
' delete sheet with following lines
' application.displayalerts = false
' sheets("Configuration").delete
' application.displayalerts = true
End If
End Sub
Charlize

ndendrinos
11-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Hello Charlize and thanks for your contribution.
I have looked at all the kind help you people have offered to my posting and still I keep coming back to my initial question about introducing the "path" to the file without splitting the file using half as front end and the other half as back end. The reason is this : The user could copy the file before opening it thus overcoming all obstacles possible with the scenarios here. The only way to achieve my goal (that I know of) is using the path of the user's computer and password protecting the VBA.
I do not give up yet and the posting remains "unsolved" but right now I cannot think of a solution.
I thank you all

johnske
11-06-2006, 10:11 PM
...The only way to achieve my goal (that I know of) is using the path of the user's computer and password protecting the VBA...

That's pretty weak protection, but...
Option Explicit
'
Sub RequirePathExample()
'requires workbook be in a folder named (E.G.) 'Gobbledegook'
With ThisWorkbook
If Not .FullName = "C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Gobbledegook\" & .Name Then
With Application
.DisplayAlerts = False
.Quit
End With
End If
End With
End Sub

It sounds like you're chasing the 'Holy Grail' of VBA - making a workbook completely "Secure". This can never be, the best you can do is offer varying levels of protection (complete security is impossible).

There are a number of ways of 'upping the ante' with workbook protection - some are listed below, but it sounds like you really should be looking at the last item rather than the third last (example above). Let us know...

Protection by subterfuge:
e.g. A large splash panel is presented that requests a password be entered within a small given time. The password is non-existent, it's a decoy, what is actually required is that a very small invisible object hidden in a pre-defined spot on the splash panel must be clicked.

Password protection:
This requires the password entered to be compared against another saved:

In a code pane in the VBE window
In a cell on a hidden worksheet
As a builtin or custom document property
In another document e.g. in another .xls, .doc, .text, .bas, .frm, .frx, (etc.) document
In the registryProtection by a using a defined path:
Workbook must always be opened in a specially named folder in a given path

Protection by confirming identity of the person opening the file:
Username

Protection by confirming identity of the computer on which the file is opened:
Computer name

Charlize
11-07-2006, 05:58 AM
Use the configuration tab that is xlveryhidden. In A1 put the date until you may run the workbook for the first time. In A2 you specify a time (15:00). I mean, when I send you the workbook now, I specify 07/11/2006 (dd/mm/yyyy) and time is 14:00 u. In Belgium time it means that you've got 5 minutes (send over at 13:55 u.) to do the first initial opening of the workbook before it becomes useless. Before 5 minutes the sheet configuration is deleted and a file is written to somewhere (maybe system directory). When he makes a copy of the file he is using, the logfile wouldn't be there and if he sends the original the time and date are passed for the first initial installation. If he is in a hurry and installs, sends the workbook to a friend and this friend installs it within the five minutes, theres nothing we can do about this. Don't send it, is another option.

Charlize

ndendrinos
11-07-2006, 05:00 PM
John thank you ... not sure I understand your observation ... if I use the computer name, by asking for it I give away the solution. This is if you are talking of the computer name found by right clicking "my computer" .. Properties ... Computer name etc (on windows XP Prof)
you can change the computer name thus if i were to copy the file and give it tou you and you were to change your computer name to equal mine then you could use the copy.
On the other hand the example you give of the file in a folder on the desktop is foolproof ... if fail to see why you refer to it as "weak"... what am I missing here ?

Subterfuge I use on my "private" file were if in 5 seconds you do not enter the right word in the right cell the file self destruct ... drastic maybe but hey I said "private"

Charlize ... Quote: Don't send it, is another option. ... that one beats them all !
BUT your idea has a lot of merit in the sense that there will be no need to ask anything from the intended recipient of the file.

I still like the one of the file in a folder and I think I found a way to make it work without giving away anything ...
I will send the file using my own path ... the file will not open of course ... the recipient will email his problem ... I will ask him to then right click on the folder and give me the path ... I will then "fix" the problem and send him the "repaired" file ....
LOL just thinking how my mind works ....

Your final comments please.
And thank you again

johnske
11-07-2006, 06:16 PM
I use windows 98 and the standard path for the desktop is C:\Windows\Desktop. There may be a few hundred million others still using win98, so that part is hardly unique.

By introducing a specially named folder there is some degree of uniqueness, but all that's needed is the name of the folder for a few hundred million others to run it - and you have to tell the other person that they must have this folder, so that information can be passed on.

Computer ID is a unique identifier for each computer that requires you to use an API to get the computers ID :). You don't ask for it like a password, a Workbook_Open procedure could check that it's the right computer (but you would need to know your friends computer ID to write it into the procedure in the first place)

But hey, if you're happy with what you've got - run with it...

ndendrinos
11-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Hello again John ... was happy now I'm not anymore ... with the info you give on Windows 98 I see the "weakness" now ... you mention Computer ID this time and not Computer Name ... not sure I know the difference if any ... on Xp Pro the name is easy to find AND change ... would you know where is the ID number for my computer stored ? If this ID is unique and cannot be changed then all I would have to do is ask for it ... not a problem.
Of course if giving out the computer's ID can lead to security issues then that's a different
situation.
Thanks
Nick

johnske
11-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Well I wasn't entirely accurate there, it should probably read "fairly unique" - and yes ID and name are the same and can be changed. I was actually thinking of the installation CD serial number, but I see now it can be changed also.

Perhaps using the serial number of the hard drive would be better? i.e.
Option Explicit
'
Sub DriveSerialNumber()
MsgBox CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").GetDrive("C:\").SerialNumber
End Sub

ndendrinos
11-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Tested the code you just posted and got a 9 digit number ... so far so good
Busting my chops now trying to come up with something like:

With ThisWorkbook
If Not .Drive("C:\").SerialNumber = 123456789 Then
With Application
.DisplayAlerts = False
.Quit
End With
End If
End With
End Sub

johnske
11-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Mine is a ten digit number, and running this on my machine leaves the workbook open - but running it on anyone elses machine should make it quit
Option Explicit

Sub DriveSerialNumber()
If Not CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") _
.GetDrive("C:\").SerialNumber = 1091670173 Then
With Application
.DisplayAlerts = False
.Quit
End With
End If
End SubThe only thing is to get this number secreted somewhere the 1st time it's opened by your friend, and then checked on subsequent openings - not difficult, just tricky, and needs some thought :)

ndendrinos
11-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Looking good over here too.
With my number the file stayed put , with your's it closed.
I think I will stop here and try finding the serial number of my disk without using your macro ... not so easy on Xp ... not sure if it's easy on W98.

John, A great thank you again for all the effort you've put in
Charlize ... I will give your solution a go tomorrow

WHOA !!! just read below your last reply: The only thing is to get this number secreted somewhere the 1st time it's opened by your friend, and then checked on subsequent openings - not difficult, just tricky, and needs some thought :)

You mean this is doable ??? If yes then I'm out of the woods ... no need to ask the recipient anything ....

johnske
11-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Question: Is this going to only a few people, or is it going to a possibly unknown amount of ppl?

Yes, it's doable, but if it's going to an undisclosed number I foresee holes that could be exploited. But if it's only going to a manageable number of ppl there's this idea that would be more secure... you could create an initial workbook (basically - a consent form) to send that simply gets the serial number and username and, with that persons consent, then emails that info back to you, this workbook can then delete itself (optional) from the users machine. With that info you can then simply code the serial number and username into the copy you're going to send.

ndendrinos
11-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Initially one person ... and I have no problem with sending the first book to get the serial number and have it emailed back to me. Wouold prefer to do it the other way and not have to ask for it and have fun with the recipient when that person tries to share the file with others....
Anyhow I thank you again ... I still leave this posting "unsolved" until this last question is solved ... I am no expert at Excel nor is the recipient so for now I do not worry about holes that could be exploited UNLESS there is a security reason. I do not see how by having the serial number of your Disk I can do harm to your computer or invade your privacy.

Thank you John .. it is late here so time to rest ... to you and ALL (do not want to get the one that pours water over flames upset) I say ... until tomorrow.

johnske
11-07-2006, 09:44 PM
The major hole in the other way is that the original file sent (probably zipped) after extraction, has to get all the info and set it up so that it's initialized. This makes that copy useable only on that machine but leaves the original unitialized file untouched, and it can be easily copied and sent on to others for them to do the same :)

Charlize
11-08-2006, 01:30 AM
The major hole in the other way is that the original file sent (probably zipped) after extraction, has to get all the info and set it up so that it's initialized. This makes that copy useable only on that machine but leaves the original unitialized file untouched, and it can be easily copied and sent on to others for them to do the same :)
I would specify a certain time to the initial install. After that time the initial install fails. To store the unique id of the drive I would use a secret xl hidden sheet named ConfigPassed where you store the id that you fetched the first time (I think it's not possible to unhide using the menubars). The next time we check against the id we stored and the id we fetched from the running computer because the configuration tab is deleted and doesn't exist the program looks for the ConfigPassed tab and uses this.

Charlize

Charlize
11-08-2006, 03:58 AM
The initial installation time without configuration tab. First check on ConfigPass. If not present do the initial installationcheck and create ConfigPass to store the number.
Sub date_check()
'If current date - 7 = 1st of Novembre and time less than 12:00
'So you've got 10 minutes to do the first installation
'Once this time is passed they must guess that the date = 8 novembre
'+ time to do the installation (between 11:50 and 12:00)
If Date - 7 = #11/1/2006# And Time < TimeSerial(12, 0, 0) And _
Time > TimeSerial(11, 50, 0) Then
MsgBox ("Initial installation")
Else
MsgBox ("Contact me for new installationfile")
End If
End Sub
Charlize

ndendrinos
11-08-2006, 05:33 AM
John, Charlize ... I'm leaving to work in 15 min , When back this evening I will work on it.Your idea Charlize in inserting an expiry date in the file zipped or not is the solution and that I can do ... the business of the hidden sheet is tricky for I force the recipient to accept macros by hiding all sheets except the splash screen to the effect that to view the book you have to accept macros ,,, not sure if I can add to the code to unhide all sheets except "configuration."
Time is up ... have a great day and thanks a lot
Nick

johnske
11-08-2006, 05:47 AM
Thanx Charlize, your idea has some appeal, but we don't know how long it will be before the email will be received, let alone when it will be opened - get the time too short and there's lots of problems, set it too long and there can be unauthorized copies sent out...

Ok, this is the other alternative and goes into the workbook that gets the details (I would suggest you NOT lock the VBA project for this - so the other can check that that's ALL that's being sent):

In the ThisWorkbook code moduleOption Explicit
'
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Run "SendInfo"
End Sub
'
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
'
' deletes this workbook (optional) uncomment if wanted
' On Error Resume Next
' With ThisWorkbook
' .Saved = True
' .ChangeFileAccess Mode:=xlReadOnly
' Kill .FullName
' .Close False
' End With
'
End Sub
Same workbook, but in a standard module:
Option Explicit
'
Private Sub SendInfo()
'
'replace xxx@yyyy.com with your own email address
Const MyEmailAddy As String = "xxx@yyyy.com"
'
With Sheets(1)
.[B1] = "Hard-drive Serial Number"
.[B2] = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").GetDrive("C:\").SerialNumber
.[C1] = "Logon User Name"
.[C2] = Application.UserName
End With
'
'write your own message below...
If MsgBox("By clicking ''Send'' In the email dialog that follows, you thereby give " & _
"your consent" & _
vbNewLine & _
"for me to encode the serial number of your hard-drive and your logged on username" & _
vbNewLine & _
"into a program that can only be used on this PC when logged on with that username..." & _
vbNewLine & _
vbNewLine & _
"The email dialog will appear shortly - CONTINUE?" & vbNewLine, _
vbYesNo, Left(ThisWorkbook.Name, Len(ThisWorkbook.Name) - 4)) = vbYes _
Then Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSendMail).Show MyEmailAddy, _
Left(ThisWorkbook.Name, Len(ThisWorkbook.Name) - 4)
End Sub

In the ThisWorkbook code module for your book that's to be sent later (Lock the project - Note: you would also need to ensure macros are enabled, see here > http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=578 (http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=578)):Option Explicit
'
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
With Application
.EnableCancelKey = xlDisabled
Call ConfirmUser
.EnableCancelKey = xlInterrupt
End With
End Sub
'
Private Sub ConfirmUser()
'
'replace 1234567890 below with the real number
Const HardDriveSerial As Long = 1234567890
'
'replace Authorized User below with the real username
Const LogOnName As String = "Authorized User"
'
With Application
If Not CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") _
.GetDrive("C:\").SerialNumber = HardDriveSerial _
Or Not .UserName = LogOnName Then
.DisplayAlerts = False
.Quit
End If
End With
'
End Sub

Charlize
11-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Timetrial installation + serialnumber saving. The time limit for the installation is indeed a problem. Your (Johnske) solution is an elegant way. Another registration ...

'These three lines are in a normal module
Option Explicit
Option Private Module
Public driveno As Long
Sub check_for_sheet()
'This one goes in the workbook open event. Make sure macro's are enabled.
'Tip: One sheet named info is visible. Everything else is xlveryhidden.
'If they don't allow macro's sheet info is visible to say macro's must be enabled
'If macro's are enabled you could unhide a sheet with xxx = xlvisible
If Not SheetExists("ConfigPass") Then
date_check
Else
DriveSerialNumber
If driveno <> Worksheets("ConfigPass").Range("A1").Value Then
MsgBox ("Your not allowed to open this file on this computer !!!")
Application.Quit
Else
MsgBox ("Go ahead, everything just fine")
End If
End If
End Sub
Sub date_check()
'This macro is a normal module. We can hide a complete module with option private module
'So the macro's aren't visible.
'If current date - 7 = 1st of Novembre and time less than 14:00
'So you've got 30 minutes to do the first installation
'Once this time is passed they must guess that the date = 8 novembre
'+ time to do the installation (between 14:00 and 13:30)
If Date - 7 = #11/1/2006# And Time < TimeSerial(14, 0, 0) And _
Time > TimeSerial(13, 30, 0) Then
MsgBox ("Initial installation")
'okidoki add the sheet ConfigPass
Worksheets.Add.Move after:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count)
Worksheets(Worksheets.Count).Name = "ConfigPass"
'Worksheets("ConfigPass").Visible = xlVeryHidden
'Remove mark for above line to hide the sheet ConfigPass
DriveSerialNumber
Worksheets("ConfigPass").Range("A1").Value = driveno
Sheets(1).Select
'ActiveWorkbook.Save
'Saves workbook with configpass and drivenumber
'we can even add the logon name
'but indeed, it must be done within a certain time. Maybe make a phonecall
'before sending it over ?
Else
MsgBox ("Contact me for new installationfile")
End If
End Sub
Sub DriveSerialNumber()
'normal module
driveno = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").GetDrive("C:\").SerialNumber
End Sub
Function SheetExists(SheetName As String) As Boolean
' normal module
' function to determine if a sheet exists or not
SheetExists = False
On Error GoTo NoSuchSheet
If Len(Sheets(SheetName).Name) > 0 Then
SheetExists = True
Exit Function
End If
NoSuchSheet:
End Function

Charlize

You could say that all worksheets are visible exept for ConfigPass and Intro. But when closing you should reverse it so that intro is visible but all the others aren't.

ndendrinos
11-08-2006, 05:46 PM
John this is just perfect and I cannot thank you enough.
By your perseverance you have solved my problem, I?ve learned from it and sure enough many more on this forum will benefit from it.
I'm doubly pleased that Charlize is also impressed by your solution.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you too Charlize for the great effort you?ve done here. I will take your solution to fruition as well.
So until I get both solutions running this posting stays open.
I am really appreciative of the willingness the likes of you both show in helping out others.
Sincerely
Nick :friends:

ndendrinos
11-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Charlize I just finished testing your idea and it works great.I attach the file for your approval ... I will add code to destroy the file if used on another computer than the one it is intended to work on. I removed the time element and just left the date. It is fixed for 11/08/2006
There is one thing that escapes me and that is:
Instead of using a time why not make the workbook code run just once on a particular date ?
Anyhow ... not finished yet but maybe very soon.
Regards,
Nick

Charlize
11-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Charlize I just finished testing your idea and it works great.I attach the file for your approval ... I will add code to destroy the file if used on another computer than the one it is intended to work on. I removed the time element and just left the date. It is fixed for 11/08/2006
There is one thing that escapes me and that is:
Instead of using a time why not make the workbook code run just once on a particular date ?
Anyhow ... not finished yet but maybe very soon.
Regards,
Nick
Well, it's because I can't think of a way how I would do that. If you're like me, I would first make a back-up of the original file (for security reasons) and you still have the mail (can we autodelete that) before I will fool around with it. So how would I know that someone makes a backup before using the file ? I can't, so I prefer the time solution because that can be integrated in the coding.

Charlize

Charlize
11-09-2006, 03:57 AM
Nick, I saw the warning that I wasn't allowed to run this file from my computer. So that part works. Attached you'll find a possible way to deal with the hiding (even with shift key and escape key pressed) of the data sheet and the warning sheet that macro's must be enabled to use the file.

Charlize

ndendrinos
11-09-2006, 04:15 AM
Charlize, It is 5:00AM here, had two cups of coffee and thinking hard.
During the day I would like to tackle the issues you raise one by one.
If you read this please confirm that :

A) If the date is fixed as per my attachment "test" am I right in assuming that the copy I would make for security reasons (without opening the file that is) would not work the next day?
B) Ditto for the email?
If true and unless I'm wrong, the window for copying and sending the file to someone else is limited to that one day...
Thank you

Just posted and missed your last message ... thanks for sticking by

ndendrinos
11-09-2006, 04:21 AM
Charlize ,,, thanks for the attachment ... works great

Charlize
11-09-2006, 04:21 AM
Charlize, It is 5:00AM here, had two cups of coffee and thinking hard.
During the day I would like to tackle the issues you raise one by one.
If you read this please confirm that :

A) If the date is fixed as per my attachment "test" am I right in assuming that the copy I would make for security reasons (without opening the file that is) would not work the next day?
B) Ditto for the email?
If true and unless I'm wrong, the window for copying and sending the file to someone else is limited to that one day...
Thank youWell, here it's 12:15 noon.
A) Yes, but if he is clever, he can change his computerclock to the date of the mail. If you make a copy of the original file, the copy won't work. If you make a copy of a file that is initialized, the file won't work on another computer because of the drive-serialno.
B) Idem, won't work the next day. It must be the date that you specified in the code.

Charlize

ndendrinos
11-09-2006, 04:36 AM
You are right about the rolling back of the clock to match the day the eamil was sent .. I came accross the same problem with a time sheet I put together for the employees at work and in that case I bypassed the computer's clock by having the code fetch the real date and time from the U.S. Naval Academy in Maryland ... doable but extreme in this case .. Thanks for your input ... The day is just starting ... let us see how much more trouble I can create with this posting
Nick

BTW ... your clever idea of -7/11-01-2006 could be used is this case ,no?

Charlize
11-09-2006, 03:58 PM
You are right about the rolling back of the clock to match the day the eamil was sent .. I came accross the same problem with a time sheet I put together for the employees at work and in that case I bypassed the computer's clock by having the code fetch the real date and time from the U.S. Naval Academy in Maryland ... doable but extreme in this case .. Thanks for your input ... The day is just starting ... let us see how much more trouble I can create with this posting
Nick

BTW ... your clever idea of -7/11-01-2006 could be used is this case ,no?
That date - 7 thing was just a braintwist. Basically it doesn't matter if you put 8 novembre or 8 - 7 = 1 novembre. They just need to know it is 8 novembre with or without the 7.

Maybe combine your work with a time trial and the registration thing of Johnske. After all, that was a very good idea. It depends on what you are going to share with your friend. If it's something like a budgetsheet or footballcompetition you could give a trial of two weeks and then you require a registration to continue to use the software. When they try to reinstall the software, you prevent it because you wrote a certain key to the registry (a countdown key. From 15 to 1. If it's 1, no way to start it. Unless he is willing to reinstall his computer.). You have to warn your friend that on day one the sheet will be useless. Also copy the data to another workbook (I believe there's a kb about it - mentionned in this thread I think).

Charlize

ndendrinos
11-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Hello Charlize.
So be it then ... I will go the route you suggest.
I thank you very much for helping me out with this.
Best regards
Nick

Charlize
11-10-2006, 02:36 AM
Instead of just using the datecheck, you could use a 2nd check on the date of creation of the file. I've noticed that when you save an attachment, the file will be saved under the current date (the creation date). So if you rollback the date after you saved the attachment, it won't work.

Also noticed that when you copy the original backup the date of creation is also changed to the current date.

Charlize