PDA

View Full Version : How can I disable the Save As command for AutoCAD

syntaxerror
11-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm currently maintaining an MS Access database that manages AutoCAD files over a network. And now I need in some instances, for a specific user group to just have viewing permission over some of the drawing files and not be able to save the drawing file in their local drives.

I've been looking around for an efficient method for this for quite sometime now... but have had very little luck.

At best, I was able to disable the Save As button in the File Menu using MenuItem from the AutoCAD application object... but it still doesn't override the Ctrl-S saveas shortcut and the saveas from the AutoCAD commandline.:banghead:

many thanks,

se

lucas
11-27-2006, 11:26 AM
You could save the view only files to a specific folder on the network as .dwf

syntaxerror
11-27-2006, 04:55 PM
it seems I am left with no other choice,

but then, of course it's just a redundant file... because i would still have to maintain the .dwg as the editable form

i'm still slightly bothered that I can't disable some commands for the autcad application object, specially for security purposes.

still,
thanks for your time

Tommy
11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi syntaxerror,

Have you tried AcadDocument_BeginSave ?

I need in some instances, for a specific user group to just have viewing permission over some of the drawing files and not be able to save the drawing file in their local drives.

the read/write is/should be taken care of on the server side for groups. then in the begin save check for c: in the filename if it is there set the filename to "@@" and .......
the dvb file would need to be loaded on startup each time. you can push that from the server hopefully. worse case put the code in the document of each dwg. if sever not there select all delete set undo to new mark no havey no more del bak ......

just a couple pennies

:)

syntaxerror
11-28-2006, 05:47 PM
wait...
let me get it straight, are saying that i'm supposed to somehow trap the begin_save event, and override the filename selection of the user?

i think i can see that, but i don't know how I can handle the event through vba code in ms access...
which would lead to... yes, placing the code on all the dwg files
and there are tons of it

it's a good idea, but i have not yet a clear view on how i can implement it

ty
se

Tommy
11-29-2006, 06:06 PM
If you are using vba in MS access to create the object Acad you can also impliment the withevents for acaddocument which in turn the beginsave or any other event.

manages AutoCAD files over a network

Could you explain in more detail?
When the drawing closes does the user still have control of acad or does it go back to the access application, what does the user do with the drawings - the read only and the others :) can the user insert the drawing as a block?