PDA

View Full Version : Strange Message

stanl
11-08-2006, 06:49 AM
I would like to first stress that I understand trepidations about giving advice on these boards related to security. I am currently testing a downloadable script I wrote which performs web-scraping and displays the results in a multi-tabbed Excel file. It is public information on foreclosures and the initial 'tab' acts as an index with hyperlinks to subsequent tabs for details about a certain property.

My tests have worked fine on a laptop and two PC's - then I got to a 3rd PC [I am logged in as Administrator] and the Excel file is created, but when I click on a hyperlink, the [attached] pops up. As I said, I am logged in as administrator, so I've set something up wrong on this PC.

If this is something that violates the rules of this forum, then I ask any admin to remove this post. If it is something that needs to be handled by private email... great. Right now it's just annoying
TIA Stan

mvidas
11-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi Stan,

I can't imagine why this would violate the rules of the forum, I don't think we'll be discussing ways to hack into the system or anything.

Do you get the same security message on that computer with any other hyperlinks, either to the internet or to a local file?

Matt

Ken Puls
11-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Funny... last night I saw the message asking if it was okay to open hyperlinks again, but I've never seen a flat out denial like that...

I've always wondered if these kinds of things are IE related, although I've never had any proof of that. It just seems that the issue can't be in Excel if you have identical installs. (I'm not saying you do, but I've very careful to customize mine the same between PC's and have seen the PC react differently to hyperlinks between them.)

asingh
11-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi,

I faced a kind of "similiar problem", but was due to security, never solved the issue. It was again got to do with hyperlinks......

My thread was:

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9724

regards,

asingh

Wolfgang
11-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Good Morning Stan,

I got exactly the same message when I tried to upgrade from IE6 to IE7...

There is a link to the MS-KB where they tell you tons of remedies...none of them worked, of course...

On my other lappie I did not encounter this kind of miracle...

Best,
Wolfgang

stanl
11-09-2006, 05:42 AM
Good Morning Stan,
I got exactly the same message when I tried to upgrade from IE6 to IE7...

That would be the only thing that changed, and I tested on my laptop prior to upgrading to IE7 on PC's. I never suspected IE because the hyperlinks are local - just referring to other 'tabs' in the Workbook. I had always assumed this acted as a GOTO and a browser was never involved.

So no fix huh?
Stan

Wolfgang
11-09-2006, 05:57 AM
Hi Stan,

too bad...

What if you take that error message and copy it to the search box of MS-KB to find out what they have to say about that?

If my memory serves me right there were some examples involving the Windows Registry but I am not sure about that...

Best,
Wolfgang

stanl
11-09-2006, 07:24 AM
Hi Stan,

too bad...

What if you take that error message and copy it to the search box of MS-KB to find out what they have to say about that?

If my memory serves me right there were some examples involving the Windows Registry but I am not sure about that...

Best,
Wolfgang

Hate to say... "been there, done that"... nothing specific about hyperlinks, mainly Group Policies..... etc.

I just connected another PC on the same network, upgraded to IE7, ran the installation for my App, created the workbook, clicked the link and no error message.

:banghead:

stanl
11-11-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm back. I did the following (1) removed IE7 (2) reinstalled/repaired Office 2003 (3) set security as low as possible (4) ran registry cleaners then just opened up Excel, set a hyperlink in sheet1 to reference A1 in sheet2 - clicked it ans got that pop-up error. It is just that machine :dunno Stan