PDA

View Full Version : Solved: autoformatting option buttons

MAIjah
11-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi all:

A bit of a 'brute force' programmer here. I'm using a form with mulitple groups of exclusive option buttons. I want to automatically format the selected option buttons and update the formatting as the selections are changed. For example, I want to highlight by changing the forecolor of the selected optionbutton label and grey out the other labels. I know how to do this for individual buttons but I have a total of 42 buttons on the form. There must be an easier way to do this formatting. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Bob Phillips
11-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Assuming that your groups of buttons are within frames, do this.

First create a class, call it 'clsUserFormEvents', and add this code

Option Explicit

Public WithEvents mButtonGroup As msforms.OptionButton

Private Sub mButtonGroup_Click()
Dim collItem

For Each collItem In UserForm1.mcolEvents
If collItem.mButtonGroup.Parent.Name = mButtonGroup.Parent.Name Then
collItem.mButtonGroup.BackColor = &H8000000F
End If
Next collItem

mButtonGroup.BackColor = &H80000003
End Sub

Then in your userform, add this code to initialise the class

Public mcolEvents As Collection

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
Dim cBtnEvents As clsUserFormEvents
Dim ctl As msforms.Control

Set mcolEvents = New Collection

For Each ctl In Me.Controls
If TypeName(ctl) = "OptionButton" Then
Set cBtnEvents = New clsUserFormEvents
Set cBtnEvents.mButtonGroup = ctl
mcolEvents.Add cBtnEvents
End If
Next

End Sub

MAIjah
11-14-2006, 10:12 AM

It works! I'm not sure how the selected button is highlighted but it is. I've implemented this in a more complicated form successfully.

In layman's terms what is a class module and how are they typically used.

Thanks for your help

Cheer-JAH

Bob Phillips
11-14-2006, 01:28 PM
A class is usually just an implementation of a custom object, so if you want to create say a person object in code, you can create a person class, with attributes (properties) such as name, age, sex, and actions (methods) such as eat, drink, sleep, etc. That is a slightly fatuous example, but the principle is right. In general terms, a class is a custom object.

In this example, that array of controls is our object/calss, and by making all the buttons part of the object, we can have an action that all buttons trigger.

In the main, classes are not absolutely necessary, they can be achieved in other ways, but this sort of event handling can only be done with a class.

MAIjah
11-14-2006, 02:05 PM
XID:

Once again thanks for your code and explanation. I also saw your replies and others for a similar question on a previous post. Thanks for your patience. Unfortunately my time requirements don't allow me to spend more time here searching for programming solutions so I truly appreciate rapid solutions such as this.

Cheers, John