PDA

View Full Version : Not much hair left!!!

lansdowne
11-12-2006, 12:07 PM
I am trying to develop a spreadsheet to predict the outcome of Soccer Games
using Prof ELO rating method for chess players.

Each league has its own worksheet The Premier League example is:-

COL A COL B COL C COL D
TEAM MASTER HFORM AFORM

LIVERPOLL 1000 75 45
ARSENAL 1000 75 34

What I am trying to do is when I input the weeks matches in the match worksheet, as I enter the team name the data from a,b,c etc in the Premier League sheet is automatically put in the same boxes in the Match sheet. Then after the result is known and the teams new rating is calculated, the new rating overwrites the original rating in the Premier league sheet and then clears the match sheet ready for the next fixtures.The match sheet is thus :-

COL A COL B COL C COL D COL E COL F COL G COL H COL I
HFORM HMASTER HOME AWAY AMASTER AFORM HNEW ANEW RES
75 1000 LIVERPOOL ARSENAL 1000 34 988 1013 3

RES= (1=HOME WIN, 2= AWAY WIN, 3= DRAW)

Unfortunately being a VBA virgin (at 49!!!), I've searched the Excel program help andthe net but they all seem to suppose some VBA knowledge

Perhaps it is not possible to do, but I would be truly grateful( So would my long suffering wife!) if you could help.:mkay

Davey H

Bob Phillips
11-12-2006, 12:44 PM
You are asking far too much of us. I personally have never heard of Prof ELO method and have no intention of researching t just to supply a response.

If you have a specific question, we can help. If you are asking us to do oit for you, I think you are unlikely to get much joy.

If you know no VBA, then start learning.

lansdowne
11-12-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't think you understand my post. I know all about the ELO method and how to calculate them in a sheet. I just need to know if it is possible for the master rating to automatically be input in the appropiate boxes in the match sheet when input the team names. For example when I put "Liverpool" in the match sheet I want, if poss the ratings for liverpool to be automatically put in the correct box to the left of their name. I have been trying the VLOOKUP command but don't seem to be able to get it working. Perhaps I'm going down the wrong roadand it's not possible? Then when I put in the result in and the new ratings are calculated in the appropiate boxes, I want them to overwrite or replace the old rating in the team sheet.
Then clear the fixture sheet ready for the next games.

Davey H

mdmackillop
11-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi Lansdowne,
Welcome to VBAX.
If you can post a workbook showing sample data with notes on what you're after it might be a bit clearer. You can attach one using Manage Attachments in the Go Advanced section.
Regards
MD