PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Data Validation DropDown List Font Size?

Simon Lloyd
11-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Hi all, i have noticed that all the cell dropdown lists i have (created by using Data | Validation | Allow | List) are very difficult to read its as though the font is size 8 or 6 or even less, is there a way of displaying the dropdown contents in a larger format?

i have tried changing the font size of the named range and of the cell holding the dropdown but to no avail.

All suggestions welcome!

Regards,
Simon

austenr
11-21-2006, 06:54 AM
Give this site a look.

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Larger

Simon Lloyd
11-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks Austenr, it seems sad but true that you cannot make the font any bigger...strange they havent done anything about that......my eyesight isnt as good as it used to be and i struggle to see the list but the Zoom feature at Debbies site Contextures is kinda cool.

Regards,
Simon

Ken Puls
11-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi Simon,

The only other way I can see to do this would be to drop the built in Validation methods, and replace the validation cells with ActiveX combo boxes. You can control the font size on those. The problem, of course, is that you have to create each one and built your own validation schema from scratch. Personally, I think I'd go with Deb's zoom feature, or maybe just set the zoom on the entire Excel sheet if it were me.

Simon Lloyd
11-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Yes Ken I agree that combo boxes can be manipulated easier however the workbook i inherited contains 31 sheets with many data validated dropdowns so the method i chose is the one posted below from Debbies site.

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim lZoom As Long Dim lZoomDV As Long
Dim lDVType As Long
lZoom = 100 lZoomDV = 120
lDVType = 0
Application.EnableEvents = False
On Error Resume Next
lDVType = Target.Validation.Type
On Error GoTo errHandler
If lDVType <> 3 Then
With ActiveWindow
If .Zoom <> lZoom Then
.Zoom = lZoom
End If
End With
Else With ActiveWindow
If .Zoom <> lZoomDV Then
.Zoom = lZoomDV
End If
End With
End IfexitHandler:
Application.EnableEvents = True
Exit SuberrHandler: GoTo exitHandler
End Sub Regards,
Simon

Ken Puls
11-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Yes Ken I agree that combo boxes can be manipulated easier however the workbook i inherited contains 31 sheets with many data validated dropdowns so the method i chose is the one posted below from Debbies site.

For sure, Simon, that totally makes sense. I wouldn't go the route I suggested unless I was working with less than a dozen entry points. :)