PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Check to see if Msgbox is invoked in the userform

pico
11-28-2006, 08:41 AM
I use the Msgbox to output error messages in my userform. I'd like to know when the msgbox is not invoked so i could enable a command button to move to the next screeen. How can i do a check to see how many times the msgbox subroutine has been called from my userform?.

Bob Phillips
11-28-2006, 08:58 AM
I use the Msgbox to output error messages in my userform. I'd like to know when the msgbox is not invoked so i could enable a command button to move to the next screeen. How can i do a check to see how many times the msgbox subroutine has been called from my userform?.

You would have to setup a counter in your code.

Len Piwowar
11-28-2006, 11:22 AM
You could use the Tag property of the userform to store your msgbox counts, In the msgbox subroutine you add the code:
MsgCnt = userform.tag + 1

MWE
11-28-2006, 05:30 PM
I use the Msgbox to output error messages in my userform. I'd like to know when the msgbox is not invoked so i could enable a command button to move to the next screeen. How can i do a check to see how many times the msgbox subroutine has been called from my userform?.as others have suggested, you will need a counter. To solve this for just one userform, you probably just want to increment a counter (could be a global or something private to the userform depending on what you want to do with it) for each call to MsgBox. If this is a more general problem, you may wish to write a procedure that "looks" like MsgBox, but does the counting for you. Let's call it MsgBoxC (for counter). MsgBoxC has the same basic arguements as MsgBox and (1) calls MsgBox and (2) increments the counter (which is a global or something easily zeroed and evaluated).

Bob Phillips
11-29-2006, 01:31 AM
as others have suggested, you will need a counter. To solve this for just one userform, you probably just want to increment a counter (could be a global or something private to the userform depending on what you want to do with it) for each call to MsgBox. If this is a more general problem, you may wish to write a procedure that "looks" like MsgBox, but does the counting for you. Let's call it MsgBoxC (for counter). MsgBoxC has the same basic arguements as MsgBox and (1) calls MsgBox and (2) increments the counter (which is a global or something easily zeroed and evaluated).

A MsgBox class :)

asingh
11-29-2006, 02:25 AM
Is there something like a msgbox class......?

Bob Phillips
11-29-2006, 02:50 AM
Is there something like a msgbox class......?

No, you write one.

It would have (at least) one method which would be ShowMessage, which would have all the same arguments as MsgBox, but that method would also do other things, in this instance it could add to a counter. There would then be properties to look at attributes of such a class, such as DisplayCount.

Here is a rough and ready example

Option Explicit

Const mClassTitle = "Show Message Class"
Private mCount As Long

Property Get DisplayCount() As Long
DisplayCount = mCount
End Property

Property Let DisplayCount(Count As Long)
mCount = Count
End Property

Public Function ShowMessage(ByVal Prompt As String, _
Optional ByVal buttons As VbMsgBoxStyle, _
Optional ByVal title As String, _
Optional ByVal helpfile As String, _
Optional ByVal context As Double) As VbMsgBoxStyle
Dim ans As VbMsgBoxStyle

mCount = mCount + 1
If title = "" Then title = mClassTitle
ans = MsgBox(Prompt, buttons, title, helpfile, context)

End Function

and here is an example of usage

Sub TestMsgBoxClass()
Dim MyMessages As clsMsgBox

Set MyMessages = New clsMsgBox

MyMessages.ShowMessage ("hello")
MsgBox MyMessages.DisplayCount

MyMessages.ShowMessage "custom buttons", vbOKCancel + vbInformation

MyMessages.ShowMessage "custom title", , "custom title"

MyMessages.DisplayCount = 0
MyMessages.ShowMessage "reset the count"

Set MyMessages = Nothing

End Function

pico
11-29-2006, 06:17 AM
I just use a flag variable everytime i use msgbox. So if the flag is true, i know there have been messages displayed