PDA

View Full Version : Solved: End of Day upload to Server fuction

Aussiebear
12-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Most of my daily spreadsheet work is done on a toughbook which is wireless linked to the server. Rather than rely on the wireless link, (which slows things down dramaticily), I save a copy of my work at the end of the day.

Is it possible to create a button on the spreadsheet which will upload my C:/Grain Sampling & Testing.XLS to L:/Office/Ted/Grain Sampling & Testing in an effort to save time?

Ted

lucas
12-02-2006, 08:55 PM
This might work Ted but it doesn't check to see if the directory exists and you must run it with the workbook you wish to back up active. Can easily be attached to a toolbar button.
Sub saveBackup()
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="L:/Office/Ted/Grain Sampling & Testing.xls", FileFormat:=xlNormal, _
Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, _
CreateBackup:=False
Application.Run "checkname"
End Sub

Aussiebear
12-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks Steve. Directory certainly exists.

mdmackillop
12-03-2006, 03:18 AM
I'm not a "laptop" person, but is there not the functionality to synchronise files with the server? Used to be called Briefcase if I remember right.

Aussiebear
12-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Don't recall it being loaded on the toughbook MD. Won't be back at work or a week to check.

Prasad_Joshi
12-04-2006, 02:40 AM
Instead of using Saveas use Savecopyas method.

Prasad Joshi

Aussiebear
12-04-2006, 03:49 AM
Thanks for that. I'll try your method on return to work

Bob Phillips
12-04-2006, 04:06 AM
Ted,

I have just bought a new laptop and looking in help Briefcase is still there.

There is also a facility called Synchronize. It is a windows function, so you should have it. Look it up in Help, it might be what you want.

Bob Phillips
12-04-2006, 04:12 AM
Other ideas

TreeComp
Two-way-synchronisation, easy to use
http://www.xs4all.nl/~lploeger/TreeComp3.htm

Horodruin
Three-way-synchronisation, hard to use
http://web.tiscali.it/sbordoni/Stefano/

Aussiebear
12-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Bob, the toughbooks were initially installed in the feed trucks to control the commodities being fed out. Most of their functions were stripped down to bare esentials, and any "excessive" software was removed.

Their communications with the server is live, so that management can oversee the feedout program, which works fine until the link is broken, causing lost tickets ( feed outs for a series of pens).

I shall have a good look when I return to work

Bob Phillips
12-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Bob, the toughbooks were initially installed in the feed trucks to control the commodities being fed out. Most of their functions were stripped down to bare esentials, and any "excessive" software was removed.

Their communications with the server is live, so that management can oversee the feedout program, which works fine until the link is broken, causing lost tickets ( feed outs for a series of pens).

I shall have a good look when I return to work
I think that Briefcase is so embedded within the OS that you would struggle to remove it.