PDA

View Full Version : OL98: How can I put a standard text into the subject line?

relmanz2000
10-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Hi All,

Anyone know of a way I can click a button to start a new mail message and have a standard wording already in the subject line?

We used to have to put "Internet Authorised:" when we were using OL2000, and had a hyperlink setup to do it, but that doesn't work in OL98 http://www.tipmaster.com/images/cry.gif so we have to type it manually. Or more accurately, forget to type it! http://www.tipmaster.com/images/blush.gif

Any ideas? Chris

Varium et mutabile semper Excel

Steiner
10-01-2004, 02:27 AM
You could try to write your own macro:

Sub SendSubj()
Dim objMail As MailItem
Set objMail = CreateItem(olMailItem)
objMail.Subject = "blabla"
objMail.Display
End Sub

and assign that one to a button on the toolbar.

relmanz2000
10-01-2004, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Steiner!

I'm dumb, I know, but how do I add a button to the toolbar? AFAIK, there's no option to do so under Toolbars>Customise in Outlook 98 under NT4, unless I've overlooked it.

Hint?

Steiner
10-04-2004, 12:19 AM
I use Outlook 2000 under NT, but I'd think there should be no difference.
- you should create the macro first
- right click on a toolbar
- select customize from the context menu
- choose the tab commands
- in the left list should be an entry "Macros"
- if you select that, it should show all currently available macros on the right side
(maybe you'll havo to open and close the VBA-Editor, I don't know why, but before it did not show me my macros)
- just drag' drop the macro on the toolbar

relmanz2000
10-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Thanks for that Steiner, but alas it won't work for me... There's no 'Macros' option on the Commands tab in OL98, so I'm stymied I'm afraid!

Thanks again for your help, tho'

Chris
Varium et mutabile semper Excel

lynn_victoria
10-08-2004, 11:47 AM
The easiet way is to open a new mail message, fill it out completely or as much as you know...including subject line.
Save as .oft which is an outlook template file
create a message button, and assign the hyperlink to open that .oft.
If you need exact steps post back and I will list them.

Then every time you click that message button, you open your template message with your subject etc already in place. I have about 15 of these that i use.

Good luck.

slink9
10-17-2004, 06:13 AM
lynn_victoria is completely correct. No need for macros or command-line (although it could also be accomplished through the command-line) switch.

bkudulis
12-27-2004, 05:05 PM
I am trying to do something similiar to this but instead of adding a subject to the new email I am trying to add a recipient to the To field. I have been able to get this to work but there is an annoying message that appears that tells you that a program is trying to add email addresses. Is there anyway to avaoid this message? When I do sendObject it does not appear.

slink9
12-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Does the message say something about ACCESSING the address book? If so, use a program called CLICKYES to automatically click the YES button for you.
If it says something about adding an address to the address book you are not using the right command.

bkudulis
12-27-2004, 06:18 PM
The message is "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" Here is the code that I am using in a module in Access.

Dim objOutlook As Outlook.Application
Dim objOutlookMsg As Outlook.MailItem
Dim objOutlookRecip As Outlook.Recipient

' Create the Outlook session.
Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

' Create the message.
Set objOutlookMsg = objOutlook.CreateItem(olMailItem)

With objOutlookMsg
' Add the To recipient(s) to the message.
Set objOutlookRecip = .Recipients.Add("bob_kudulis@hotmail.com")
objOutlookRecip.Type = olTo

.Display

End With
Set objOutlookMsg = Nothing
Set objOutlook = Nothing
End Sub