PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Very strange

Tenspeed39355
10-04-2004, 11:13 AM
This one has me. I am doing a copy from this web site. http://etfconnect.com/select/etf/etf.asp Under the heading DAILY PRICING.

Up comes the stock symbols that I do a copy and then a past into a Excel ss.
The symbols go in COLUMN A. In COLUMN B I TYPE in some of the same symbols from COLUMN A. What I am trying to do is to match the symbols in column B with the symbols in COLUMN A. This is the formula I received from one of the tech at this site. =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(B1,$A$1:$A$10,FALSE)),"NO","YES").
Here is the funny part of this. If I OVERTYPE all the symbols in COLUMN A then
the formula will work. I have tried everything I know to solve the problem. Can
anyone help. If there were just a few stock symbols in COLUMN A it would be no
big deal but there are 560 of them to OVERTYPE. Why does the formula not reconize the symbols in column A until I OVERTYPE THEM. Thanks for any help
Max:hi:

Zack Barresse
10-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Hi Max,

Rather than try and download the info myself, why don't you zip and attach the file to this thread so we can work with what you have; or at least a small representation of it.

Tenspeed39355
10-04-2004, 11:25 AM
I just did a copy and paste of a few of the symbols.
IIF EVP GHI ASA FEN MFD EMF VIT EQS FUND CHN PPF MXE IFN NRI

Zack Barresse
10-04-2004, 11:34 AM
How did you copy? Did you paste as text? Did you use Text to Columns? You may just have leading/trailing spaces. Right off hand, maybe ...

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(TRIM(B1),TRIM($A$1:$A$10),0)),"NO","YES")

Although it would be easier if we had something to work with. I realize this can't be done all the time also. :)

Tenspeed39355
10-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the super quick reply. One question, where do I find Text to Columns?
Max

Jacob Hilderbrand
10-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Data Menu

Tenspeed39355
10-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Jacob Thank you, thank you, thank you. Here is what I did to correct the problem.
In the excel ss I when to DATA, TEXT TO COLUMN, HIGHLIGHTED "FIXED WIDTH"
CLICKED ON NEXT, NEXT, SELECTED "TEXT" AND IT WORKED. I can now check to see if
the fund symbols in column B appear in column A. Again thanks, this one has been a pill to solve and you did it. FIVE STARS. LOL
Max

Zack Barresse
10-04-2004, 01:26 PM
... FIVE STARS. LOL
Max

Then mark it as such! ;) From within this thread, click Rate This Thread, then choose your rating. A very useful tool. :yes

And you can also mark your own threads Solved, by going to Thread Tools -> Mark Solved -> Perform Action.

Glad you got it working Max! :)

Jacob Hilderbrand
10-04-2004, 02:06 PM
You're Welcome^3

Take Care