PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Changing drive letters

mdmackillop
12-13-2006, 01:01 PM
To make use of a programme I have to transport data and a licence key on my USB key. There is a requirement that the path is the same on my office and home pc, so I want to reassign my DVD drive to free up the "E" drive letter. How do I go about this? Will the USB (currently F: ) then use this by default, or will I have to set this somewhere?
For info, I've a partitioned drive G, and a mapped drive P, if this has any bearing.

Tommy
12-13-2006, 02:51 PM
This is a blatent copy from the help files on XP :devil2: - I have not tried it. I would have posted a link but I couldn't find it. :( :banghead:

Be carefule with this MD, as the help files says can cause trouble. : pray2:

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.
A computer can use up to 26 drive letters. Drive letters A and B are reserved for floppy disk drives, but you can assign these letters to removable drives if the computer does not have a floppy disk drive. Hard disk drives in the computer receive letters C through Z, while mapped network drives are assigned drive letters in reverse order (Z through B).
You cannot change the drive letter of the system volume (http://vbaexpress.com/forum/ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\diskmgmt.chm::/HELP=glossary.hlp TOPIC=gls_system_volume) or boot volume (http://vbaexpress.com/forum/ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\diskmgmt.chm::/HELP=glossary.hlp TOPIC=gls_boot_volume).
An error message may appear when you attempt to assign a letter to a volume, CD-ROM drive, or other removable media device, possibly because it is in use by a program in the system. If this happens, close the program accessing the volume or drive, and then click the Change Drive Letter and Paths command again.
Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the static assignment of drive letters on volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives. This means that you permanently assign a drive letter to a specific partition, volume, or CD-ROM drive. When you add a new hard disk to an existing computer system, it will not affect statically assigned drive letters.
You can also mount a local drive at an empty folder on an NTFS volume using a drive path instead of a drive letter. For more information, click Related Topics.

mdmackillop
12-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks Tommy,
Problem solved!