PDA

View Full Version : Solved: CSV FILE

ssafiri
12-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi dear Experts..:help

I'm about to split csv files from each comma to separate cells.
ex. AAA,BBB,CCC to AAA cell1 and BBB to cell2 and CCC to cell3.
Thanks and have a excelent holiday.

Bye.

JimmyTheHand
12-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi Ssafiri :hi:

Excel, in theory, knows .csv format, so it should open any csv files exactly the way you wish. In practice, however, I've experienced deviations from this rule with my Hungarian Excel, and I think this must be a "feature" of non-English versions, related to international settings.

Try opening the file not by doubleclick but from menu, File/Open. For me it has always worked so far.

If it doesn't work for you, try the following:
Rename the file to txt.
Start Excel.
Select File/Open, browse to the proper folder, change file type to "text files", select and open the file.
The text import wizard should come up, which allows to choose column delimiter. Set it to comma.

Jimmy

Cyberdude
12-24-2006, 04:00 PM
This isn?t particularly elegant, but I?ve been using ordinary cell references to extract the data I want from a .csv file. When I open a .csv file I see what looks like an Excel sheet with column letters at the top and row numbers along the left side. I use a macro to first open the .csv file, then open the workbook that extracts the data. In my case, the .csv file has closing stock prices in column B. If I want the value in the .csv file cell ?B6? to be extraced into the cell ?Z26? of my workbook, then in cell ?Z26? I write the formula:
='StkData.csv'!$B$6
and ? Voila! ? the closing stock price appears magically in cell ?Z26?.

My data workbook has a row of cells each of which extracts a stock price. The leftmost cell on the row is the date of the day I extract the data, so after the data is extracted I have to prepare for the next day by copying the workbook?s input data row down to the next row. Then I remove the formula from the ?today?s data? row, which makes the value permanent. The row below the copied row has the formula ready for fetching tomorrow?s data. Using conditional formatting I make all the data in that row invisible so I won?t have two rows with the same values. This workbook then serves as a repository for all of todays data which is then used in various ways by other workbooks. Of course all the copying initially is done by a macro.

I probably didn?t explain it too well, but I?ve been using this technique for about 10 years now, and I?ve never had the urge to use a different method for interfacing with the .csv file.

ssafiri
12-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Many Many Thanks.

HAVE a GRAET NEW YEAR......:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9: