PDA

View Full Version : Clippy gone loco?

Zack Barresse
10-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Umm, my clippy help guy is saying funny things to me when I open Word. E.g. "Plaid shirts and striped pants rarely make a positive fashion statement." LOL Is that normal? I've never seen it before. :rolleyes:

Jacob Hilderbrand
10-06-2004, 02:02 PM
He's just trying to help you out man. :rofl

Bilby
10-06-2004, 02:26 PM
On a less humourous note, If this is happening it means that someone has added an unauthorised macro to your system. ...Have you scanned for macro viruses, trojans etc.

If my machine suddenly started acting this clippy I would take immediate steps to clean it.

Zack Barresse
10-06-2004, 02:40 PM
As much as I appreciate Clippy trying to help me out on my fashion styles - and I do need it - if this is a serious issue, I'd like to take care of it. I did run a scan and haven't come up with anything.

Has anyone had this before, or know of a specific (or even narrow down) area to which I could look into?

Thanks for you help thius far Jake and Bilby, much appreciated. :yes

Kelly
10-06-2004, 02:54 PM
I have this vague memory that someone where I used to work once shared some magazine article with me and it mentioned this tip.

I think it is actually legit. Just for fun, apparently.

I'm still searching the 'net. So far I found this: Tip of the Day (http://www.petting-zoo.net/%7Edeadbeef/archive/245.html)

Kelly
10-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Tips from Windows Word

You should never dive into murky waters. Its never too late to learn how to play the piano.

Things that go away by themselves can come back by themselves.

You can hurt yourself if you run with scissors.

Plaid shirts and striped pants rarely make a positive fashion statement.

This is the last tip.

I found that WAY DOWN near the bottom of the web page at:
http://www.silverspiral.net/misc.html

Kelly
10-06-2004, 02:59 PM
This is a list of Tips of the Day that Word can show when it starts. The tips are stored in MSO97.DLL. Did you know.
found on http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/tips97.html

Howard Kaikow
10-06-2004, 04:16 PM
As much as I appreciate Clippy trying to help me out on my fashion styles - and I do need it - if this is a serious issue, I'd like to take care of it. I did run a scan and haven't come up with anything.

Has anyone had this before, or know of a specific (or even narrow down) area to which I could look into?

Thanks for you help thius far Jake and Bilby, much appreciated. :yesIt's either a virus, or some MSFT developer did something strange.

Note that MSFT has been under pressure to cut out such nonesense and recent versions of software no longer contain easter eggs, and likely less chance of such tips being included.

Zack Barresse
10-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks Kelly and Howard. And I'm using 2002 (if it wasn't already apparent from the pic :) ). I'll do some more checking, I would hate for it to be a virus/parasite of sorts. I appreciate the wisdom and insight!

Jacob Hilderbrand
10-06-2004, 04:26 PM
if this is a serious issue, I'd like to take care of it. I did run a scan and haven't come up with anything.

Sorry, I thought for sure you were posting a joke. LOL. Looks like it is a real tip.

Zack Barresse
10-06-2004, 04:39 PM
... Looks like it is a real tip.

Well, besides it being a real tip .. :p

I mean, I couldn't match myself if my life depended on it! So I find new and alternative ways to change the subject from my clothes .. LOL!