PDA

View Full Version : Text Boxes Won?t Stay Visible on Charts

Cyberdude
12-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Several of my charts have text boxes containing things like ?2006? as annotation. Lately I?ve been bothered by these boxes disappearing when I deselect the charts. When I click on the chart, sometimes the boxes reappear, and other times they don?t. This is particularly noticeable on the right end of very long (part off the screen) charts.

I suspect that when they disappear they are in fact still there but maybe behind the charts. I have no idea why they appear when I click on a chart. I can usually click where I think a box should be, and it will appear, but then it disappears when I deselect the chart.

I found an option called ?Order? that says ?bring forward? and ?bring to front?, but it doesn?t seem to have any effect. Can anyone tell me how to make these text boxes stay visible?

XLGibbs
12-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Make sure the Chart is "Sent to back". I have the same problem on some of the charts I have that have "external" text boxes.

The chart is an object on the sheet, so is the text box, so if you have the chart in the "back" it may help.

It is a royal pain though, it appears and disappears when you would expect to just be there where you left it.

Brandtrock
12-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Try grouping them with the chart.

Cyberdude
12-31-2006, 02:24 PM
I am constantly astounded by how much I don't know about Excel considering how long I've been using it. That said, . . .

XLGibbs:
The term "Sent to back" sounds familiar and looks like the 4 "Order" options ("bring forward" etc), but for the l ife of me I can't find "Send to back". As I said the "Order" options I did try didn't do anything obvious. So where do I find "Send to back"?

Brandtrock:
Sorry but I have no idea how to "group" something or what it does. The "Group" dropdown list I found had 3 options all grayed out.

Somehow, I think we're on the right track, but in my ignorance I haven't been able to try your suggestions. Can you guys add a few more words of explanation?

Thanks for the responses ... I appreciate them.

Cyberdude
12-31-2006, 02:30 PM
P.S. I DID find the "Send to Back" option, but it didn't seem to do anything. Phffft!

Brandtrock
12-31-2006, 02:48 PM
With your textbox showing, click the border, hold down the shift key, click on the border of the chart. Right click while all are selected and select Group. This will keep the objects together. It will also require additional coding if using VBA since your chart and text box are now members of the group object you created.

Manual editing can still be done. Once grouped, right click the text box and Edit Textbox object should be in the menu, if I recall correctly.

Regards,

JonPeltier
01-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Even better than trying to group independent textboxes with charts is to make the textbox as an integral part of the chart.

Select the chart.
Click on the textbox button.
Draw the textbox in the chart.

If the chart is selected when the textbox button is clicked, the textbox becomes part of the chart, not just part of the worksheet.

Brandtrock
01-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Even better than trying to group independent textboxes with charts is to make the textbox as an integral part of the chart.

Select the chart.
Click on the textbox button.
Draw the textbox in the chart.

If the chart is selected when the textbox button is clicked, the textbox becomes part of the chart, not just part of the worksheet.

I learn something everyday. :bow:

Thanks for the tip Jon.

Regards,