PDA

View Full Version : Introductions

malik641
01-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the Introductions thread! A good starting place to get a quick preview of who we all are and what we like to do.

So, hi everybody! I'm Joseph, I'm currently employed in a Safety Harness manufacturing company. We mostly make restraints for Aircrafts and (more recently) Military vehicles - primarily the Hummer's Gunner seats. I have 3 main jobs there:

1: Draft all the drawings, correct revisions, etc.
2: Responsible for reviewing invoices before jobs are closed out and ready to be filed. This takes the longest.
3: Automate (or optimize :)) production in the office. I mostly automate Excel and on occasion I'll automate CorelDraw, AutoCAD, and file manipulation (eOrganizing, really). I plan on getting involved with Access VBA soon too.

I live in Florida and love the weather here (since I was born and raised in Jersey) :cool: . I'm going to school to get my Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering, and afterwards I plan to persue a Masters in Computer Science and Engineering. When I'm not in school or at work, I'm mostly online playing with Excel or web surfing. Other than that I like to be outside and enjoy the scenery, go for a walk with my girlfriend, watch a movie (I love Netflix :)), or make mojitos :rofl: (that's for you, admins!).

Anyway I hope that this thread will be a great starting place for newcomers to introduce themselves and to get a feel of our members here. I believe you'll find that VBAX is the best source of friendly help on the web. I know I did :thumb

Bob Phillips
01-05-2007, 04:33 AM
...since I was born and raised in Jersey

Do you mean New Jersey?

There is a place called Jersey you know (that's why yours is NEW Jersey!), it's a small island in the Channel Islands off of the coast of Brittany and Normandy. Still seems we have got a lot of work on our hands to educate you Yanks!

malik641
01-05-2007, 06:21 AM
:)

But then I wouldn't sound like I'm from New Jersey if I said "New Jersey". Nobody in New Jersey calls it "New Jersey". Not even people in the surrounding states call it New Jersey...except maybe in business, but even then I'd question that :)

How about introducing yourself xld?

...to educate you Yanks!
Don't you mean Americans? ;)

lucas
01-05-2007, 06:43 AM
I thought the one in America was called Joisey:devil2: (with an accent from New England area)

Bob Phillips
01-05-2007, 06:43 AM
But then I wouldn't sound like I'm from New Jersey if I said "New Jersey". Nobody in New Jersey calls it "New Jersey". Not even people in the surrounding states call it New Jersey...except maybe in business, but even then I'd question that :)

Again, this is the over-bearing view of people from the US that the US is the world. There is more to worry about that just people in New Jersey, or even the United States.

I certainly do not. More education for you ... America is a continent, not a country. So people from Canada are Americans, Mexicans are Americans, even people from Belize are Americans.

malik641
01-05-2007, 07:22 AM
There is more to worry about that just people in New Jersey, or even the United States.So let's please move along then.

I certainly do not. More education for you ... America is a continent, not a country. So people from Canada are Americans, Mexicans are Americans, even people from Belize are Americans.Perhaps you should start a new thread on this. I'll make my statement there. I'll also move these posts to the new thread.

moa
01-05-2007, 09:48 AM
What a lovely addition to the forum this is... apart from the anti-US rant.

BTW xld generalisations about "Yanks" is so 2006.

Zack Barresse
01-05-2007, 12:14 PM
ROFL!

Bob Phillips
01-05-2007, 02:17 PM
What a lovely addition to the forum this is... apart from the anti-US rant.

BTW xld generalisations about "Yanks" is so 2006.
Pray tell me where the anti-US rant is? It was an anti-ignorance rant if anything.

Generalisations? It was not I who asked what A4 is, nor said Jersey when he meant New Jersey (ignoring that there is an original Jersey), nor suggested that I meant Americans when I referred to Yanks. If you think it is so 2006, then I suggest that for 2007 you set yourself a goal of learning a bit about the big wide world beyond your shores.

moa
01-06-2007, 07:15 AM
I suggest that for 2007 you set yourself a goal of learning a bit about the big wide world beyond your shores

Way to assume. I suggest you stop judging people based a few lines of text on a forum.

I am a New Zealander. I have been to the US and found out that the people are not their Government (although the fact that they were voted in proves that democracy just does not work:) ). Hardly any of the people that I met there were ignorant of the world outside the US(although a few of them asked me if I knew Steve Irwin to which I replied that I did and would gladly to pass my condolences on to his family). I am currently living in London (England not Canada or any other country that has a London, to be precise) and in between I have been to quite a few other places. I even worked on a farm for a few months in the middle of nowhere in Canada where I met the most right wing American in the world and argued about gun control, revisionist history and the fact that Bush is a dead ringer Alfred E Newman. Aside from him though the other Americans I met seemed to be fantastic people. Go out and hug one today!

So I guess this is my introduction.

Apologies xld if I offended you. It seems quite a lot of things do...

Bob Phillips
01-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Way to assume. I suggest you stop judging people based a few lines of text on a forum.

I am a New Zealander. I have been to the US and found out that the people are not their Government (although the fact that they were voted in proves that democracy just does not work:) ). Hardly any of the people that I met there were ignorant of the world outside the US(although a few of them asked me if I knew Steve Irwin to which I replied that I did and would gladly to pass my condolences on to his family). I am currently living in London (England not Canada or any other country that has a London, to be precise) and in between I have been to quite a few other places. I even worked on a farm for a few months in the middle of nowhere in Canada where I met the most right wing American in the world and argued about gun control, revisionist history and the fact that Bush is a dead ringer Alfred E Newman. Aside from him though the other Americans I met seemed to be fantastic people. Go out and hug one today!
So you decline to answer my question?

XLGibbs
01-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi may name is Pete and I am an alchoh....shoot! wrong introduction again.

Simply put, I am a god amongst men.

:welcome:

Brandtrock
01-06-2007, 04:04 PM
I certainly do not. More education for you ... America is a continent, not a country. So people from Canada are Americans, Mexicans are Americans, even people from Belize are Americans.
Perhaps this is picking nits Bob, but for someone so profoundly irritated by the lack of New in front of Jersey to indicate the state in the northeastern US, I would think that America should be referred to as 2 continents since North America and South America are seperate and distinct from one another.

Additionally, since the United States of America is what we, as well as the rest of the world, understand USA to stand for, it is largely (if not generally) accepted that referring to an "American" is a valid way to refer to a citizen of the USA and a completely ridiculous way to refer to a Canadian, or a Mexican, or a citizen of Belize, or any citizen of any country in North or Sourth America other than the USA.

If you have any vacation time coming, put in for it and unwind a bit.

Regards,

Bob Phillips
01-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Perhaps this is picking nits Bob, but for someone so profoundly irritated by the lack of New in front of Jersey to indicate the state in the northeastern US, I would think that America should be referred to as 2 continents since North America and South America are seperate and distinct from one another.
Well I did geography at school, have continued to have an interest in the subject, and know far more about the subject than the vast majority of you countrymen, but I was always taught that it is one continent. America, Asia, Africa, Australasia, Antarctica and Europe are the continents that we were taught. I will never separate America into 2 continents in my mind just to increase the self-aggrandisement of the US.

Additionally, since the United States of America is what we, as well as the rest of the world, understand USA to stand for, it is largely (if not generally) accepted that referring to an "American" is a valid way to refer to a citizen of the USA and a completely ridiculous way to refer to a Canadian, or a Mexican, or a citizen of Belize, or any citizen of any country in North or Sourth America other than the USA.
That may be so, but I was 'corrected', suggesting that I meant Americans. As I said, I certainly did not mean Americans, that is perpetuating a view that the US has but the rest of the world does not, namely that the US IS America. It is not, it is a small part, and in 50 years it won't even be the important part.

And I certainly don't think it is necessary to not to refer to Canadians as Americans just so that they can have a separate identity from the US. I think they are doing that quite well themselves these days, and they should be proud to be Americans, as I am proud to be European, as well as Wessexian.

If you have any vacation time coming, put in for it and unwind a bit.
You have to be joking! I enjoy winding-up Yanks who take themselves too seriously.

moa
01-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I went all politician on you there Bob (may I call you Bob?): useless information in reply to a straight question.

Anyway, rant was too strong a word but so was ignorance.

Have a good one Bob and thanks for the new thread Joseph. I hope it's used for its original purpose...

malik641
01-08-2007, 09:11 AM
No problem Glen :thumb

I hope everyone will enjoy the new forum :)

Bob Phillips
01-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I went all politician on you there Bob (may I call you Bob?): useless information in reply to a straight question.

You can call me whatever you want :), but Bob is my preference.

XLGibbs
01-12-2007, 06:14 PM
You can call me whatever you want :), but Bob is my preference.
Seems fair, but am probably gonna spell it backwards, boB :thumb

Aussiebear
01-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Hi may name is Pete a

Simply put, I am a god amongst men.

:welcome:

Yep

Zack Barresse
01-15-2007, 06:33 PM
What do dyslexics name their children? Yup, BOB. :p

Bob Phillips
01-16-2007, 02:19 AM
I have never met anyone who names their child Bob, it is a diminutive.

Anne Troy
08-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Wow. I mean woW.
I missed this thread until now. Thank GOD!
Too funny, tho. I was rolling on the floor.
What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs in a swimming pool?
Yep. BOB.
And XLGibbs....I never KNEW you were a friend of BILL's! Then you know that there's a BIG difference between you and God....God KNOWS he's not YOU!

XLGibbs
08-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Wow. I mean woW.
I missed this thread until now. Thank GOD!
Too funny, tho. I was rolling on the floor.
What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs in a swimming pool?
Yep. BOB.
And XLGibbs....I never KNEW you were a friend of BILL's! Then you know that there's a BIG difference between you and God....God KNOWS he's not YOU!

:rotlaugh:

I never said I was THE god. Just that I was one. LOL

aja
09-10-2007, 07:05 AM
XLD - Totally agree. Although my mate is Canadian and he hates being referred to as American as it gets him tarred with the same septic brush.

aja
09-10-2007, 07:21 AM
You have to be joking! I enjoy winding-up Yanks who take themselves too seriously.

Watch out for friendly fire XLD!!

Over there they're taught that the US is the 3rd rock from the sun!

I kid! I love y'all!!!

psionic
10-15-2007, 12:40 AM
Ah Aussiebear! Blessings to you.

That makes two Pete's (if I accept the nickname) in the "down under" manner of speaking.

Just as the discussion start about different places, I'm sure there are no differences between Queenland and Victoria isn't there Aussiebear? :thumb

Aussiebear
10-15-2007, 02:03 AM
Ah Aussiebear! Blessings to you.

That makes two Pete's (if I accept the nickname) in the "down under" manner of speaking.

Just as the discussion start about different places, I'm sure there are no differences between Queenland and Victoria isn't there Aussiebear? :thumb

:motz2::motz2::motz2:

Yes there is...... we can spell. Its QUEENSLAND...... not Queenland.

:banghead:

Victorians.... With the exception of GG and her family, I'd drown the first two million of you and shoot the rest....

(Hehehehehe.... that 'll give psionic something to chew over for a while)

psionic
10-15-2007, 02:28 AM
:motz2::motz2::motz2:

Yes there is...... we can spell. Its QUEENSLAND...... not Queenland.

:banghead:

Victorians.... With the exception of GG and her family, I'd drown the first two million of you and shoot the rest....

(Hehehehehe.... that 'll give psionic something to chew over for a while)

I do humble apologise for mis-spelling that. My fingers do get carried away when I am thinking about something else.

I am Collingwood Support for the AFL but sports doesn't really matter except that I do enjoy ten-pin bowling.

Cheers,
Psionic.

abhijitdas
02-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Abhijit from India. A Marketing professional. Total newbie to VBA.

emvi11ab
02-21-2013, 04:40 AM
Hello from Denmark, Copenhagen! I'm also a complete nwebie to VBA, but I freaking love it!

MemphisChild
09-21-2013, 06:30 AM
hey! my name is memphis and i am new user to this forum........

FrancisK
04-16-2014, 07:52 AM
hi

Szeto
09-11-2014, 11:33 PM
hello

gkrish181095
12-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Hey all!

treoboy
03-07-2015, 05:24 PM
Hi, I'm new and looking forward to checking the site out and sharing. I'm probably a 6 out of 10 in skill level with VB. So glad to be here!
David

paul-slackno
04-24-2015, 02:57 AM
Hi all,

I am a 26 year old german, currently living in Zürich Switzerland and working in the banking sector. The last two years i was working in consultancy and at a trading desk in Santiago de Chile in the area of market risk management especially concerning derivitives, hedge strategies and equity trading strategies.

I am passionate about minimal techno music production which i am doing as the age of 13, swimming, field hockey and travelling. I worked voluntarly abroad in Vietnam in the past and studied in the netherland.
I started my new job hier in the biggest swiss bank just 2 month ago and i am really eager to learn about VBA programming as i am quite certain i can double my effeciency, once i am able to programm some basic stuff. I am very happy that forums like this exist nowadays and am eager to learn.

best regards,
Paul

AlbertF
05-26-2015, 03:24 PM
Hi all... I am gutted to find myself 8 years late for the opening discussion, it was great fun! Another Kiwi here, btw.

technomau
06-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Hi everyone from Italy!

LordDragon
08-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Wow. I almost stopped reading this thread when it turned into a back and forth amongst the admins and "Gurus". But I'll though my two cents in here.

My name is Dragon (yes, that is my real name). I currently live in Houston, TX USA (that's in America, xld). I served 13 years in what I refer to as "The Navy" but is more properly called the "US Navy". They forced me into using computers when I taught myself how to use MS Word ('98) to recreate a form we were using white-out on so we could make blank copies. Apparently being able to do that was all it took to be the IT. So I was forced to use computers, primarily Windows systems running Office. However, once I started I was hooked and have been trying to learn anything I could about them ever since.

After getting out of "The Navy" I started working in the Oil Industry (after a year of driving busses). It wasn't until working in this industry that I actually started using Excel for anything. I was always a big...stickler that if you weren't doing Math, then you were wasting the power of Excel. So I used Access for data and Word for documents, and since I was an instructor in the Navy for a while too, I got into using PowerPoint as well.

I tried going to college to learn more about computers. I've taken three separate degree programs (game and graphic design; Software Engineering; Software Development) at three different Universities (DeVry; Kaplan; University of Phoenix) and if I could combine all my credits I'm about 6 months from a Masters in something computer related.

But I can honestly say I have learned more about computers and programming (Java; Visual Basic; VBA) by just "playing" with them and either creating my own little projects (just to see if I could do it) or by having them assigned to me when my manager discovers I can do more than enter data in the little cells in Excel. Actually, I make sure they know so they will assign me little projects, I find the challenge to be fun.

As I said before, I currently live in Texas, but I have lived in 28 of the 50 US States and have been to all of them (including Hawaii and Alaska). I have also been to Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Guam, Palau, Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand, Japan, Korea, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Dubai, Germany, Romania, all around the "Continent" of South America (sorry xld, my favorite country down there was Columbia, Chile was nice though, went skiing in the Andes), Australia (I loved "Queenland" too). Currently I'm in Nigeria working on a project.

Sorry for sharing my Biography here, but I wanted to express that I have been around enough to know that places like this board are proof that the world is small and we all are neighbors and no matter where you're from or where you're going, you can come to a place like there where everyone speaks the same language...code.

Aussiebear
08-12-2015, 12:22 AM
Australia (I loved "Queenland" too). Perfectly understandable....

We have just had a few of your guys over at Shoalwater for a two week exercise.

LordDragon
08-12-2015, 12:59 AM
Perfectly understandable....

You know, I did that on purpose.

evalent
11-06-2015, 12:42 AM
Hello!

I'm Elizabeth, Indonesian residing in The Netherlands. I'm currently working on a project involving VBA as a interface for Superpro designer.

See you all around!

Elizabeth

louisjade
12-12-2015, 05:33 AM
Hi, Looks like a great forum :)

Bob Phillips
12-15-2015, 10:06 AM
I currently live in Houston, TX USA (that's in America, xld)

I know where Texas is, it is in the USA. I even know that Houston is in Texas, I lived in Austin a while back. Do you know where Dorchester is?

.... all around the "Continent" of South America (sorry xld, my favorite country down there was Columbia, Chile was nice though, went skiing in the Andes).

I have never been to Columbia, so I cannot compare, but both have to be nicer than Venezuela now it it's current impoverished state. I am back in the UK now, haven't been to Chile for some years.

Aussiebear
12-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Do you know where Dorchester is? Not exactly, but I'm sure when the sun comes up, it'll turn up roughly where you left it..... :devil2:

Sorry Bob, but it was too good to pass up.

stanleywilli
02-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Hi all.

SamT
02-12-2016, 06:08 AM
Stanley,

Welcome to the best MS Office forum on the internet.

You know, people who go around making inane comments to decades old threads just create more work for moderators, gives us a bad first impression and doesn't do a thing for their post count.

patcell67
05-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Hello! i am getting into the world of VBA but still a novice. I appreciate this forum and the knowledge it supplies~! look forward to working with everyone!

joshman1088
09-06-2016, 06:41 AM
Hello I'm working at my first office job looking for help automating some processes

joshman1088
09-06-2016, 06:42 AM
Hello I don't want to spam but I need 5 posts to add links to posts which I need to ask a question

SamT
09-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Post the link, but omit the "http\\:"

joshman1088
09-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Post the link, but omit the "http\\:"

Thanks, I just inserted spaces. Now I'm praying for an answer to my question.

kylis
11-12-2016, 06:46 AM
Hi all.

killerwake
03-29-2017, 01:29 PM
hi greetings :)

STEPHENRAY
07-08-2017, 08:40 AM
Hello everybody! I have just started to learn VBA a few weeks ago. I can record some macros in Word and then add some code. I am an old COBOL programmer, the If statements are a little different.
I bought two books, Murach's Visual Basic 2015 & Mastering VBA for Microsoft Office 2016. These are the best I could find, comparing from books at the library.
I work for the USDA, only in Microsoft Word, not Excel.
Right now I am struggling to learn how the clipboard may be used. I have read that you must learn about Data Objects to manipulate the clipboard. I am learning.
At work, I open a document from another application, (Not Word), copy it, paste it to a document in Word and get dat from it. Trouble is, it pastes to Word as a Table and some cells have date in them and some do not.
Does anybody know how I can test to see if the cell has data in it? I find a certain spot on the document, then tab to the next spot where the data might be. If there is not data in it, I will do one thing, If there is data in that cell I will do something else.
Thanks, -Steve

cakebakr2
09-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Hi all,

Computer Science programmer here, looking to learn more VBA. New position requires lots more Excel with the business groups.

harky
10-18-2017, 05:46 AM
hi, i new here.. hope i can get more help from u pro :)

jackbrown
03-19-2018, 05:49 PM
STOP READING THIS ZAK!!!:banghead::yes :clap::wot:yes:devil2::rofl:

pankajunk
05-25-2021, 05:56 AM
Hey. I am Pankaj and I work in the online database app market. Hoping to network and learn from the other peeps here!

Pankaj
www.hyperoffice.com (https://www.hyperoffice.com)

GabrielleQue
07-05-2021, 01:04 AM
Hi, everyone

dustine79
09-14-2021, 04:31 AM
Newbie is here to say hello to all members of this forum.