PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Importing text file...

austenr
01-05-2007, 11:21 AM
I have a comma delimited text file that I imported into Access as a table. After it is imported, in one particular column where there should be a one character entry there are a bunch of zeroes. This happens sporatically.

If I import it into Excel this does not occur. I did have to chage one field to Double during the import to Access but I dont think that causes it because most of the other 54000 records are correct. Anyone have any ideas?

Unfortunatly, I cannot post a sample.

stanl
01-05-2007, 11:48 AM
IAnyone have any ideas?
Unfortunatly, I cannot post a sample.

Perhaps [manually]import into Excel, then import/link to access, then check table structure??? Unfortunatley my divination rod is in the shop. Stan

austenr
01-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Stan,

That is what I ended up doing. Just trying to understand why it did that. Thanks

XLGibbs
01-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Austen...send me that text file if you wish. Access typically makes "guesses" which can sometimes make wierd things happen...

if the column is suppossed to be 1 character, why would change the import to "double"?

stanl
01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
That is what I ended up doing. Just trying to understand why it did that. Thanks

Well I've found that Jet 4.0's SELECT INTO has often resolved most of my csv->access issues. Can you even post a sanitized version of the csv that would fail normally? Stan