PDA

View Full Version : I be Stan

stanl
01-09-2007, 01:40 PM
I do more converting VBA to other scripting languages, particularly Winbatch; I try to contribute when and if I can and keep whining at a minimum.

Truth be told, I was banned forever from Ozgrid after helping a user with a registry entry, which I was told after the fact violated some sort of security that one of their Approvers seemed to have made up. It seemed there is no such thing as privacy in that forum, Private emails are distributed to a 'Star Chamber' [how is that for knowledge of English History]... bottom line some little runt made unkind remarks about my being a VietNam era Vet; I returned in kind.....

Anyway, bygones... this is intelligent forum, as is witnessed by the increases in post and IMHO [good code!! good code!!]. Having just lost my job I am trying to fit some realtime between Bogart Martini's and CareerBuilder putting together a KB article on XML formats and developing useful scripts w/ MS's Logparser COM. Stan

Zack Barresse
01-09-2007, 02:01 PM
You sounds like a very interesting fella Stan! I know your help on this website has never been sub-standard and is greatly appreciated! It's very nice to meet you.

As a side note, and as a citizen of the US, thank you for your service to our country. I'm sure you do not hear it as much as you should.

Bob Phillips
01-09-2007, 03:50 PM
I do more converting VBA to other scripting languages, particularly Winbatch; I try to contribute when and if I can and keep whining at a minimum.
I have no idea what Winbatch is. Rather than me look it up, why don't you, a practitioner enlighten me.

Truth be told, I was banned forever from Ozgrid after helping a user with a registry entry, which I was told after the fact violated some sort of security that one of their Approvers seemed to have made up. It seemed there is no such thing as privacy in that forum, Private emails are distributed to a 'Star Chamber' [how is that for knowledge of English History]... bottom line some little runt made unkind remarks about my being a VietNam era Vet; I returned in kind.....
LOL! AT least you did something serious, I have seen people banned from there for spelling their names incorrectly :doh:. I met JackInTheUK last summer, and I said to him that I thought they were far too officious, and inflexible. I think he agreed, but said that was the owner's policy :wot

Anyway, bygones... this is intelligent forum, as is witnessed by the increases in post and IMHO [good code!! good code!!]. Having just lost my job I am trying to fit some realtime between Bogart Martini's and CareerBuilder putting together a KB article on XML formats and developing useful scripts w/ MS's Logparser COM. Stan
Amen! The addition of CBrine and tstom recently have certainly upped the ante, in addition to the usual suspects.

Zack Barresse
01-09-2007, 04:34 PM
And so I'm not accused of never mentioning it, albeit slightly off-topic, Cbrine is my hero! :yes

stanl
01-10-2007, 07:09 AM
I have no idea what Winbatch is. Rather than me look it up, why don't you, a practitioner enlighten me.

WB is a scripting language with a compiler which can do anything Windows can do. Support is fantastic. I started pestering them in 1999 about ODBC support which has evolved to pretty full COM support - their code for COM being about 90% importable from VB/VBA.

Take a look at www.mindspring.com\~stanl (http://www.mindspring.com\~stanl) for a few compiled freewares I posted. Very Important point: the VBAX forum is a great source for ideas and code I translate into EXE's where people don't want macro/module code mingled with their data.

CBrine
01-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Zack & xld,
Thanks for the cudo's. It's a mutual admiration club though. I've learned a few things from you over the years. Still have Zack's right click menu options code in my library.(It's very cool)

stanl,
Never have spent a lot of time over at OzGrid, but anyone that decides to take shots at a Vet of any war is pretty low by any standard. You go where you are told and do what you are told, regardless of if you agree or disagree. That's the life of a solider(From someone who has never been a solider and has no idea what a solider does) Who knows what might have happened if the US had never entered the conflict? Might be dealing with a powerhouse Korea with nukes, instead of a just a North Korea with them.

Aussiebear
01-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I too am a member of OZGrid, but its cold and unfriendly. Very un Australian if I may say so. Stan, if the guy who confronted you was an Aussie, then I apologise on our behalf. We unfortunately have some twits over here.

Ted

Brandtrock
01-13-2007, 12:29 AM
...Truth be told, I was banned forever from Ozgrid after helping a user with a registry entry, which I was told after the fact violated some sort of security that one of their Approvers seemed to have made up...

I wondered why I hadn't seen anything from you over there for a long time. Sorry to here they beat up on ya. I still hang out over there, but it's getting harder and harder to read the posts amidst all of the advertising.

... bottom line some little runt made unkind remarks about my being a VietNam era Vet; I returned in kind.....

Thanks for your service Stan.

:soupbox:The ironic thing about many who complain about the military is that it is the very group they disrespect who protects that right for them. Just know that there are many many more of us who understand how important your service is to how we get to live our lives.

....Having just lost my job...

You aren't secretly Donald Rumsfeld are you? :rotlaugh:

Glad to know you,

Ken Puls
01-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Can't say I ever really got in to OzGrid. In fact, the only post I've made over there I know violated their "no links" policy. It was busting a cross poster though, so seemed to be okay.

At any rate, OzGrid's loss seems to be our gain. :thumb

Glad to have you, Stan!