PDA

View Full Version : Restricting fonts available in a template

doctornick
01-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Hello, this is my first visit to the site.

I'm presuming VBA is the way to achieve the following, so am really just looking for some pointers as to how to get started.

Is it possible to lock-down the number of fonts available for use in a Word template? Or, even better, lock down all the fonts and only have the styles menu available for the user to select from?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

fumei
01-17-2007, 09:50 AM
The bottom line to ANY question/intention to lock things down is:

Probably yes you can, but that no, it can never totally work.

Any user who is fairly knowledgeable can get around just about anything you do.

Can you "lock down" the fonts available? I don't think so, at least not easily. I suppose there may be a way to do it, but AFAIK if the font is available to Windows, it will be available to Word.

Can you "lock down" all fonts? In a sense. You can remove the Fonts menu item from Format > Fonts, so it is not available. You can remove the fonts dropdown from the toolbar so IT is not available.

But still...it is not that hard to get these back.

doctornick
01-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks, that's pretty much what I expected. I'd be happy if I could just make it so that the font change option wasn't visible to the user, it would persuade most of them to simply use the styles inherent in the document. If they want to dig it out themselves, well, they either have a good reason or too much time on their hands.

I'm presuming I'd be writing a macro that loads up on document.open and removes the font options from the toolbar. Any tips on what commands I need to look at to alter the toolbar?

Thanks,

Nick

fumei
01-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Are you using this as a template (.DOT)? If so, then just remove it from the .DOT file.