PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Table of Contents

alg
01-18-2007, 03:33 PM
I need to be able to display the TOC as a table with three columns. The first column contains a ‘section number’, the second: the title and the third is the page number. I have flagged all the titles as Heading 1 and I’ve had no problems generating the basic Table of Contents. The problem is that none of the default styles for the TOC suit my needs. Is there a way of modifying style of the TOC to suit my needs? Or will I pretty much have to duplicate the TOC functionality? If that’s the case, what would be the best approach?

I tried to recreate the TOC functionality but I’m having very little luck. I know I can get the page and section numbers by using: Selection.Information(wdActiveEndPageNumber) and Selection.Information(wdActiveEndSectionNumber). But it is not working properly. Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Al

matthewspatrick
01-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Al,

Most of the Word docs I write that have a TOC are technical documents, and for technical writing I just love to build a numbering scheme into my headings. So, I build numbering into my heading styles, and then the TOC picks up that numbering automatically. (So, Heading 1 will number like 1,2,3; Heading 2 like 1.1,1.2,1.3,2.1,2.2,etc.; Heading 3 like 1.1.1,1.1.2,1.1.3, etc.)