PDA

View Full Version : Multiuser DB

nedy_03
01-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Hello,

Could someone tell me how can I allow multiuser to acces the same data base? ...

Thx,
Nedy

OBP
01-19-2007, 12:01 PM
nedy, the database has to be on a "Server" in a network.
Access automatically allows multiple users to use the database unless you set it to "Open Exclusive" which is NOT the default.

GaryB
01-19-2007, 12:07 PM
I may be wrong, but doesn't each workstation need to have a vesion of Access on it. Then you can create a shortcut from the database or each workstation to open the database. One thing to watchout for is, depending on how you wrote your forms and queries, is one user can potentially lock out another user trying to access the same form.

Gary

OBP
01-19-2007, 12:31 PM
GaryB, you are correct, of course each workstation would need Access on it and a shortcut makes it easier to find the database, but is not essential unless the database is "Secured".
Unless of course the database is an Access "Runtime" version in which case Access is not required.

wiz47
01-24-2007, 05:35 PM
You might also consider splitting the database into a Frontend (fe) and a Backend (be). The fe would contain all the forms, querys, modules, and reports - and the be would contain all the tables (data). Each user would have a copy of the (fe) on their computer and access the (be) on the server via a shortcut.

That way, you can change the fe and not disturb the data residing on the be. This would also limit the possibility of someone accidentally corrupting the entire db. After all, it's a lot easier to replace a fe than try to recreate 1000's of records from scratch.