PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] excel memory problem?

GaryB
10-11-2004, 10:13 AM
This is something I have never run into before. When I try to start Excel I get his message:

the instruction at "dx30026d69 referenced memory at "0X00000000."
the "memory" could not be read.

and I cant start excel. I even reinstalled the entire office suite and I am still getting this message. Anybody have any input on this?

Thanks in advance

GaryB

Zack Barresse
10-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Hello Gary,

This sounds like a Hard Drive issue, not an Excel one. I'd highly suggest you try another hard drive (with some common files) just to be sure. I had this problem before and got the same error message, and it eneded up being the Hard Drive (physical problems).

Is this a new computer?

GaryB
10-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Hi Zack,

No it's not a new computer, but, the drive is sectioned into C, D & E drives. so I tried reinstalling on D and got the same error message. Everything else runs fine, except for excel.

Zack Barresse
10-11-2004, 11:14 AM
When does the message pop up? At startup? Excel startup? On opening specific files? And is it only specific files, or all Excel files?

GaryB
10-12-2004, 06:50 AM
it starts anytime i do anything with excel. if i click on a file it pops up, if i click on the excel shortcut it pops up and if i click on the excel.exe file it pops up. i tried reloading office again this morning but still the same problem.

Garyb

Zack Barresse
10-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Hmm. Maybe you can try re-registering Excel. Start -> Run -> Excel.exe /regserver. Or start in safe mode '/s', or express mode (not the name, just the one I gave it ;) ) '/e'. http://support.microsoft.com/ has all the switches listed there. Not sure if that's really going to help or not.

And I would double check all of your other programs. Then do a disk defragment, scan disck, check disk; you know, all the basics. If that changes things, I'd be almost positive it's your hard drive.

GaryB
10-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Thanks,

I wonder if it might be virus related. I'm going to run a scan and see what pops up.

Garyb

CBrine
10-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Gary,

I had the same problem. It seemed to manifest itself when I upgraded to Windows 2000. I did a ton of research and drove our IT group nuts. I think the problem was actually with the OS and not with Excel. I believe it went away once I was able to install SP3 for Win2000(Don't even ask about that, had to drop into safe mode to get the service pack to work). So, the moral of the story is that you need the OS updates. If you are not up to date, try upgrading to the lastest service pack.

HTH
Cal

GaryB
10-14-2004, 06:37 AM
Thanks Cal, I appreciate the response. We have decided to upgrade the OS to WindowsXP Professional, so , hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks for the input to everyone.

GaryB