PDA

View Full Version : Solved: XLSTART Directory

MWE
01-22-2007, 09:39 AM
This will sound pretty lame, but ...

I am running Excel2000 and WinXP. I have a xl workbook, lets call is A.xls, that I wanted to load "invisibly" each time I started Excel. So, I hid A.xls, saved it, and put a shortcut into the XLSTART directory pointing to A.xls This worked fine.

Then, when I no longer needed A.xls, I assumed that by simply deleting the shortcut from XLSTART, A.xls would no longer load when Excel started. That appears to not be true. A.xls continues to load each time I start Excel.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Bob Phillips
01-22-2007, 10:16 AM
That should work. Where is the actual workbook?

MWE
01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
That should work. Where is the actual workbook?thanks for the prompt reply.

A.xls is on another drive partition. Your questin got me thinking that there might be another copy of A.xls or another shortcut hidden somewhere that Excel is somehow referencing. I did a search of all other drives (including C:\). There is no other copy of A.xls. I did find several copies of the shortcut in places like .../Microsoft/RecentStuff.

So, I deleted all of those shortcuts and tried again. A.xls still loads when Excel loads.

Oops ... I found the problem. It is obvious, but I would have expected a different "error". A.xls only loads when a particular other spreadsheet is opened; let's call that B.xls. In order to use (in the past) the code in A.xls from B.xls, I had to point to A.xls in References (for B.xls). I did not uncheck that when I stopped using A.xls (and deleted the shortcut in XLSTART). Even though A.xls was no longer in XLSTART, Excel was able to resolve it through the References and load it appropriately. An interesting phenomena. I would have expected Excel to complain as soon as A.xls was not longer "available".

Live and Learn.

Thanks again.

Bob Phillips
01-22-2007, 01:44 PM
It was still available. The reference would point to the actual file, not the shortcut.

MWE
01-23-2007, 07:04 AM
It was still available. The reference would point to the actual file, not the shortcut.thanks