PDA

View Full Version : Need to interrogate a doc for abbreviation usage

arecube
01-24-2007, 04:06 PM
We have an 107-page Word document that leads off with a glossary of many, many abbreviations. Below are the 1st 16 abbreviations in the glossary as an example.

I need to go through these documents and make certain that all abbreviations within the glossary are used at least once in the document. I'm looking for a VBA code solution; we have used the 'edit' 'find' command in the past searching for each one.

Sample from the list of abbreviations
ALJ
AOCL
APB
APB 25
ARB
ARO
B&W
BGS
BTU
CAIR
CAL
CAMR
CAT
CBP
CO2
CTC

I copied the above abbreviations right out of the glossary table so the table could be the source of the abbreviation list or a text file made up of the list could be the source of abbreviations to be found. The Glossary table leads off the document.

Of course we'd need some form of results feedback as to a report of missing/exceptions, or none found.

Also it might be useful to identify a group of capital letters within parenthesis like (COSO). This could be something not in the glossary that should be. For example "...the Treadway Commission (COSO),..."

By the way I've never executed a Word Macro.

fumei
01-30-2007, 07:07 AM
You need to specify the logic more completely.

1. "I need to go through these documents and make certain that all abbreviations within the glossary are used at least once in the document." Does that mean it does not matter where the abbreviations is, or how it used? Just so long as somewhere in the document is (for example) BGS?

2. "Also it might be useful to identify a group of capital letters within parenthesis like (COSO). This could be something not in the glossary that should be. " I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this.

Does it mean any group of capital letters should have parenthesis put around them? By what logic do you determine what should be in the glossary, but it not?

This is not trivial at best, but impossible without knowing exactly what the logic would be.