PDA

View Full Version : Install 2007 and keep 2003?

Zack Barresse
01-27-2007, 10:14 AM
So I have had Excel 2000 through 2003 installed simultaneously before. I had to revert to Office 2003 for other reasons with my OS, but I was wanting to have both 2003 and 2007 Office. I was curious if anybody had ever done that? I can keep it separate (and probably will) but was just curious. :)

Bob Phillips
01-27-2007, 10:23 AM
I have both installed on this laptop Zack, and I haven't noticed any particular problems with either. I haven't been able to get personal.xlsb working, and I do get a problem with code librarian, every so often it just starts erroring and is only cured by shutting both down and starting again.

Bob Phillips
01-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Meant to also say that although I do have both, I think VM is probably the way to go, and will probably do so before long.

Zack Barresse
01-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Hmm, I've never used that before. Anything special to note before I start doing some research on it? Any pitfalls? Thanks Bob! :)

Zack Barresse
01-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Also, is there any issues with migration of Outlook accounts/emails (PST file)?

Edit: Scratch that! I realized that Office would only allow one Outlook to be installed at a time and won't run dual versions. So nevermind! LOL!

Ken Puls
01-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Personally, I go the VM route. I like VMWare better than MS's Virtual PC, but VPC is free.

I blogged about virtualization a while ago. You may want to have a read of that here (http://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2006/11/20/virtualization/). If you do decide to go the MS VPC route, make sure you read the article I linked to. It is essential info.

I will say that VPC isn't bad, but I'm still considering buying a license for VMWare Workstation anyway. The snapshot feature there is, quite simply, eons ahead of VPC's differencing disk strategy.

Brandtrock
01-27-2007, 03:44 PM
...I'm still considering buying a license for VMWare Workstation anyway. The snapshot feature there is, quite simply, eons ahead of VPC's differencing disk strategy.

But when will it get a ribbon?!?!?!?!?:rofl:

Bob Phillips
01-28-2007, 04:21 AM
What haven't you used before Zack, the Code Librarian?

Bob Phillips
01-28-2007, 04:21 AM
Also, is there any issues with migration of Outlook accounts/emails (PST file)?

Edit: Scratch that! I realized that Office would only allow one Outlook to be installed at a time and won't run dual versions. So nevermind! LOL!
I actually have two installed! BUt it is really problemmatical.

Ken Puls
01-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Bob, what is Code Librarian? I've seen you mention it before, but have never come across it?

Bob Phillips
01-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Code Librarian is a little utility that was provided with Office 2000 Developer edition. It is a code store, providing a little Access database for holding all the code. It is not very sophisticated, but it becomes a VBA add-in, and is a useful code storage utility.

I have tons of code examples and formulae stored in there.

I did suggest to MS that as they do n ot prov ide it an y longer, why not release it as free downbloadable. They said they would look into it, but I have not heard anymore.

I have been working on a better client to the DB, but that has been ongoing for 2 years now :). I was going to do this as an open source project with Frank Kabel, perhaps I should resurrect that idea.

Ken Puls
01-28-2007, 12:55 PM
It sounds like something that could be useful. :yes

Personally, I don't tend to warehouse much of my code, only because I've never found a good filing system. I try to recall where I've used a method before, and go look it up. Number one hits, of course, are my various add-ins, only because I'm intimately familiar with what was put in them.

Bob Phillips
01-29-2007, 02:47 AM
I warehouse stuff that I don't use every day, in order to avoid having to re-build the routines from scratch. They tend to be relatively small, tight bits of code, not full blown applications or modules.

Zack Barresse
01-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Sorry Bob, I was talking about VM.

Ken Puls
01-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Zack, do yourself a favour... sign up for the Virtual PC beta and have a play with it. I think you'll like it and find it very useful. Just make SURE you read that article I linked to in my blog. Then...

-Install a Win XP OS in your virtual PC
-Lock the disk down
-Create a new (differencing) disk and install Office 2003
-Create a new (differencing) disk and install Office 2007

etc... You'll see the benefits very quickly. Just dont' forget to do customize the original XP install exactly as you want it in the rest. You only get one shot at that. ;)

XL-Dennis
01-30-2007, 01:21 PM
I like VMWare better than MS's Virtual PC, but VPC is free.

There is a reason why MSFT gives away VPC 2004:
It's so slow that ......

Everone who is using or will plan to use VSTO 2005 SE need to be aware of that it will not work with two Office installations on the same disc.

I use a revised version of the Code Librarian which also make it possible to save .NET code. in a nice way.

Ken Puls
01-30-2007, 02:07 PM
It's so slow that ......
VPC 2007 isn't too bad. I still prefer VMWare though. ;)

I'm intrigued on the whole Code Librarian... must admit it. :yes

Bob Phillips
01-30-2007, 04:54 PM
It's so slow that ......

Everone who is using or will plan to use VSTO 2005 SE need to be aware of that it will not work with two Office installations on the same disc.

I use a revised version of the Code Librarian which also make it possible to save .NET code. in a nice way.

Where do you get that Code Librarian from?

lucas
04-27-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm looking to run linux ubunto next to xp....vmware seems to be the ticket.
Ken, is this (http://www.vmware.com/download/player/) the link to the application?

I'm also interested in the code library...

Ken Puls
04-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Sort of... Dennis will probably correct me here if I'm wrong...

VMWare Player will play VMWare images, but it won't create them. To create them, you'll either need to install VMWare Server (free, and you won't need th player), or VMWare Workstation (trial download, also won't need the player.)

VMWare Workstation is by far the superior product as it allows you to create snapshots at certain points in time and branch off from them. VMWare player should be able to play your VM's once your trial expires though.

You also have an option in Microsoft Virtual PC. It's free as well, but doesn't hold a candle to VMWare, IMHO.