PDA

View Full Version : Create new blank MDB???

mtl
01-31-2007, 07:18 PM
I am trying to create a new blank MDB using code from another MDB. But I seem to be beating my head against a wall :banghead: . Basicaly I want to create a new database and xport data from the current database into the new one for transfer to another. I have also thought of exporting into excell but am reluctant to do so as I am exporting data from 4 different tables and want to export to only one file. Which leads me to another question, can you specify a worksheet name when exporting to excell? If I could export the information from each table into a seperate worksheet of an excell spreadsheet, that would do the job.

Thanks ahead of time.

Mike:hi:

alimcpill
02-01-2007, 03:13 AM
Look at the DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet() method. This will output a specified table or query to a specified workbook (creating it if it does not already exist). It will create a new sheet for each query, so you can output 4 queries to the same workbook, each sheet named the same as the query it contains.

Note this is different to the DoCmd.OutputTo method, which will overwrite the workbook each time.

OBP
02-01-2007, 04:31 AM
See this post for creating a blank MDB -
http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9029

You can then use the Transfer database function to transfer the data.

mtl
02-01-2007, 05:30 AM
Thanks, I am on my way to work now and will give it a go.

Ken Puls
02-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Here is another example (http://www.excelguru.ca/node/60) of the ADO route to create one. It also shows how to create a basic table in it if required.

HTH,

mtl
02-01-2007, 10:01 AM
OK, I ran into one little snag.

When using :

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport , , "tblAcft"

I get this error: This action or method requires a file name argument.

But the help file says: File Type Optional Variant.

Maybe I dont get the correct meaning of Optional!

Is there a way to get a "Save File As" dialog box to pop up?

If It can be done prior to running the TransferSpreadsheet action and store the path and file name to a string variable would be best as I have four tables to export to the file.

Thanks

OBP
02-02-2007, 04:57 AM
mtl, the TransferSpreadsheet Help states -
FileName Optional Variant. A string expression that's the file name and path of the spreadsheet you want to import from, export to, or link to.
Your "Filename" does not include any kind of "Path".