PDA

View Full Version : Solved: I want to disable the 'Use CTRL+click to follow hyperlink tick box on opening a doc!

micha1970
02-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Does anyone have the code to disable the 'Use CTRL+click to follow hyperlink' tick box (in Tools/ Options/ Edit) on opening a document?

I have a doc that has hyperlinks but I want to avoid people coming back to me to say the hyperlinks 'don't work' because of this setting on their PC. So the code would go and de-select this option if ticked so that the hyperlinks work as intended. Does anyone have this to hand? Would be much appreciated! :thumb

TonyJollans
02-05-2007, 10:37 AM
This is a USER setting and if I was the user I would not want you messing with my settings.

Do you currently have users saying hyperlinks don't work because of this? And, if so, why don't you tell them to read what it says when the mouse goes on the hyperlink - or, perish the thought, train them?

If you value ignorant users over knowledgeable ones, then simply record yourself making the change to find out the code for it.

lucas
02-05-2007, 10:57 AM
There must be a way to remove the hyperlinks although I have't figured it out yet. Maybe using styles?

micha1970
02-05-2007, 01:12 PM
I knew I had managed that before but couldn't remember how. I recorded a macro and copied the code. Genius! Thanks I will leave the debate about messing with user settings and ignorant users to those who care a lot more about their colleagues than I do.

fumei
02-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Steve....huh? "Remove the hyperlinks"???? Was there something about removing hyperlinks? I understood it to be changing the use of hyperlinks from Ctrl-Click to just Click.

lucas
02-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah, seems I misunderstood. I read into it that he maybe wished the hyperlinks were not there or diabled completly to avoid the problem......

fumei
02-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Well, it was an interesting comment...

so that the hyperlinks work as intended

I am not sure why Microsoft made the activation of a hyperlink default to Ctrl-Click. It seems counter intuitive. Most users, I would surmise, DO think a link works with just Click.

TonyJollans
02-07-2007, 12:29 AM
I think it is because - as we often say - Word is an editor, not a presentation medium and the assumption (correct in my view) is that one would click on it in order to edit it rather than follow the hyperlink. Having to take special action to follow it and having nothing happen when you click is better than the reverse situation as was, where you would click to edit and find yourself whisked away because you hadn't manoeuvred the cursor in quite the right way.

fumei
02-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Very good explanation Tony. Makes sense.