PDA

View Full Version : Does Word do Drive Mapping?

Anne Troy
10-15-2004, 08:41 AM
I'm being asked at another forum:

If Word needed to access data that was no longer available (ie, disconnected mapped drive), couldn't it make a request to the OS to attempt to reconnect it?
Help! I need to sound reasonably intelligent. Difficult...I know!!

TonyJollans
10-15-2004, 12:31 PM
It's no good expecting intelligence here!!

If you knoe the server and path why can't you/they hard code it, for example ..

Documents.Open "\\Tony\CDrive\My Documents\mydoc.doc (file:///TonyCDriveMy%20Documentsmydoc.doc)"

There should be no need to map the drive at all - I'm sure it's possible but don't know how off the top of my head.

Anne Troy
10-15-2004, 12:40 PM
ERm...no...sorry. Should have 'splained. It's over at TSG (http://forums.techguy.org/t284715.html). He's trying to blame Word for remapping drives, and we all know that Word is harmless and never does ANYthing wrong. Go tell him. :p

ROFL!! :hi:

TonyJollans
10-15-2004, 12:49 PM
I have to go out now - I'll read through it and reply in a bit but, no, Word certainly doesn't do it by itself and he seems a bit hazy on detail.

Anne Troy
10-15-2004, 12:56 PM
a bit hazy on detail
Typical male. Am I right? LOL.

TonyJollans
10-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Who am I to argue?
In fact, who am I again?

Anne Troy
10-15-2004, 01:33 PM
If you haven't gone out yet, you prolly oughtta. That'll straighten you out.

TonyJollans
10-15-2004, 01:39 PM
I'm back - I just had to pick up my son.

I've posted some waffle at TSG - I'm off to eat now - that might help.

Howard Kaikow
10-16-2004, 12:20 PM
I'm being asked at another forum:

Help! I need to sound reasonably intelligent. Difficult...I know!!
I tried your query, but the text does not show, so I'm responding to an invisible question.

My visible answer is.

ANY software can be instructed to first check for the existence of a file before attempting access.

If the software knows how something is supposed to be connected, the software could try to connect on its own, or it could issue a request for the user to connect and ask the user to inform the software when ready and then continue.

Howard Kaikow
10-16-2004, 12:22 PM
ERm...no...sorry. Should have 'splained. It's over at TSG (http://forums.techguy.org/t284715.html). He's trying to blame Word for remapping drives, and we all know that Word is harmless and never does ANYthing wrong. Go tell him. :p

ROFL!! :hi:TSG, is that something that is served at a Chinese restaurant?

fumei
10-18-2004, 11:30 PM
Yo! What is happening with this one? And could you give more details? If this is a pesistent problem, then there needs to be a fix on the connection. Word itself is not going to drop the connection...I think. It depends I guess on what is actually going on. And since i don't know....

it certainly would be possible to store the information to make the connection, as it is making the connection. Then if it is lost, it could try and reconnect. But would have to know a wee more detail.

Anne Troy
10-18-2004, 11:37 PM
You'd have to read the whole thread to understand, Ger.

How are ya, anyway? :)