PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Paste Special Question

johnske
10-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Hi,

I recently upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2000 and lately I've had occasion to use Paste-Special on the sheets (i.e. by right-clicking the mouse) and (from memory) this appears to function differently to Office 97.

Now, if I (say) have the value hello typed in Cell A1, and I type =A1 in Cell B1, naturally Cell B1 will display hello also. If I now select either or both A1 and B1 and paste-special "formula" (only) somewhere else I find that hello is also pasted i.e. hello has been treated as a formula???

This appears to be different to 97 because I used to paste-special a lot of formulae a while back, and from memory ONLY the formulae were pasted i.e. the hello would be treated as "not being formula" and not be pasted (as it has no "=" in the cell), only the =A1 would be pasted.

I uninstalled and re-installed Office but it's still the same....

Can any '97 user try this for me (or has my memory simply failed me - again) :rofl

TIA
John :bink:

ETracker
10-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Hi johnske,

I am not sure I understand your question fully. I have put Hello in cell A1 and put the formula "=A1" in cell B1. I then copied both cells A1 and B1 to cell A4 using the paste-special "formula" and I got the same results as what is in cell A1 and B2 except the formula in cell B4 in now "=A4". If you need to have the formula ref. cell A1 you can put a $ infront of the 1 in cell B1 and when you copy-paste-special it will still ref. cell A1 and will only have the foumula in the new cell. If you remove Hello from cell A1 there will not be anything in cell B4. I hope this will help.

ETracker
ET :vv

johnske
10-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Ok thanx very much ETracker,

No, I dont want to reference cell A1, I just wanted to know if the word hello in cell A1 was treated as a "formula" when pasted into A4 - and from your response it seems it is.

So there's no real difference between 97 and 2000 after all (which is what I really wanted to know) and I don't have to look at any "problem" other than my failing memory :yes :D

John :bink: