PDA

View Full Version : Change number formatting of a table

Holly
05-25-2004, 02:29 PM
I am trying to mail merge from an Excel spreadsheet in Excel 2002. Some of the fields in excel have values that I have changed to precision as displayed. A value of 834.90 came across as a value of 834.899999999. Even when I went back into the spreadsheet and manually changed the value to 834.9, it still comes across as 834.89999999. How do I change the formating in the table so that it reflects commas and two decimal places. I am able to do formulas on other numbers in the table that add numbers together and those will format properly. What I need to do is to format stand alone numbers.

Anne Troy
05-25-2004, 02:42 PM
I explained to Holly bvbax (before she came to vbax, LOL) that she can use the ROUND formula in Excel.

However, I don't know if that is desired in the worksheet itself. Holly?

If it is NOT, then we need a solution where Holly can copy/paste to Word with the 2-decimal format. Anyone?

I really think this is more of an Excel solution, though. If anyone else agrees, we'll move it to that forum.

Welcome, Holly!

Zack Barresse
05-25-2004, 03:03 PM
yeah, i think it's probably an excel solution also. i'm under the impression (w/ Precision as Displayed) that it won't change your actual Values, but the way your formulas use those Values in the functions themselves.

personally i'd use the ROUND function (but i'm a formula guy, and your at a vba website!), so you could find a vba solution! :thumb i guess it depends which way you want to go :dunno imho.

Anne Troy
05-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Dork. I told her she could ask non-vba Qs here too, LOL!!

:argue

TonyJollans
05-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Agreed, an Excel solution.

Just a thought - Precision as Displayed only affects Numbers (but DOES permanently change them). if the Cells are formatted as General it won't have any effect (and it might need the workbook saving before it fully takes effect even then)

Deb G.
06-09-2004, 05:52 AM
This problem is acknowledged by Microsoft and they provide a fix for this.

Click here. (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];320473)

JOrzech
06-12-2004, 07:45 AM
I knew it had to do with the DDE and OLE options - great find Deb!