PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Formula not working the way I need it to

rcbricker
03-02-2007, 10:05 AM
I have an IF statement in a cell that fires a Vlookup if a part number exists as MFG. If not there is no value returned. I need to have multiple layers of this till I get to the root Purchased item. However, when searching multiple parts I do not want to carry over the #N/A value that is returned when a sub component is not MFG.

Cell A1 = New Part #
Cell B1 = Component #
Cell C1 = existed - returns a "yes" found in the vlookup column if the component part exists, returns the standard #N/A if the part does not exist.
Cell D1 = price - returns this value from a vlookup
Cell E1 = M/P? - returns MFG for manufactured and PUR for Purchased.
Cell F1 = Sub Asm - This is a IF statement that states if E1 is = to MFG then vlookup column 5 which contains the sub part to make that component. If E1 contains PUR then "".

Now the problem is with the next stage.

Cell G1 = a new vlookup that searches for the sub asm part. This works fine when F1 contains a value. However if the F1 referred to a PUR part there is no value other than the IF statement. I need G1 to bring back no value (stay empty) if F1 is empty and if F1 is a MFG part I need G1 to return data based on the original commands of A-F.

Basically this series of IFs and Vlookups should continue till all parts in the row have been mapped down to their PUR parts.

Any help would be great.

CCkfm2000
03-02-2007, 10:34 AM
attached and example file

rcbricker
03-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Here is the spreadsheet

NM I figured it out. IF statement should have read

=IF(E8="PUR","",(VLOOKUP(B8,Sheet2!$A:$F,5,0)))

Bob Phillips
03-02-2007, 11:14 AM
=IF(F2<>"",VLOOKUP(F2,Sheet2!$A:$E,2,0),"")

etc.

rcbricker
03-02-2007, 11:18 AM
XLD thanks for the response. However, it should only look up values if MFG is brought back not if it is greater than nothing. I figured it out but thanks again for the attempt.

Bob Phillips
03-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I didn't use greater than nothing, I used not nothing. Try it!

rcbricker
03-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Sorry you are right. I still only need it to search on one instance. But I got it.