PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: This is crazy - References completely non-functional

Shrout1
10-22-2004, 06:26 AM
I've made several cell references in this workbook of mine, but even with the equals sign in front ofthem, they won't behave like a normal reference. Instead of behaving like a formula, they simply sit and display what you usually see when creating it, such as "='Sheet1'!A25" I'm going to attach a very trimmed down version of the file so that you can see the problem. My main suspicion would be that there is some kind of security within these cells that is keeping me from being able to successfully incorporate a formula, but I can't figure out what that might be.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Here's a link to the file:

http://shrout.741.com/Code/Blank%20MAT%20Package(Trimmed).xls (http://shrout.741.com/Code/Blank%20MAT%20Package%28Trimmed%29.xls)

And you're going to have to do a "Save Link Location As" - the free server isn't very cooperative...

johnske
10-22-2004, 06:48 AM
You're missing some apostrophes, try this: ='Sheet1'!A25

:bink:

CBrine
10-22-2004, 06:56 AM
Try doing a text to columns, General format.
I've seen this when the column is formated as text using the text to columns, and then insert a column. The text formatting carry's over into the new column, and will now work with formula's.

HTH
Cal

Shrout1
10-22-2004, 07:43 AM
I'm not sure what "text to columns" is - sorry :p Also, I can't delete or change anything. What you see in my file there is a super-trimmed down version of the file itself. This is government paperwork so I can't change the formatting. What I uploaded is a bare-bones version - everything else that was on that page has been deleted.

CBrine
10-22-2004, 08:08 AM
It is the text to columns issue. I downloaded your sheet, fixed the formula and got this result.

Tom(123)-456-7890

To fix the problem here's what you need to do.

1. Insert a line after the formula(Text columns only works on 2 or more rows)
2. Highlight the formula and the blank cell below the formula.
3. Select Tools...TextToColumns
4. Just press the finish(Defaults to general)
The formula should work now.

HTH
Cal

PS- Do the same to the other formula with the problem.

Shrout1
10-26-2004, 08:01 AM
Unfortunately, I can't add or take away any lines from the page...

CBrine
10-27-2004, 06:58 AM
Shrout,
You only need to add it in for a few moments, once you have run the text to columns you can remove it again. It is definitly your problem, I tried it on you attachment, and was able to get the formula's working.