PDA

View Full Version : Built-in Help is not working

JimmyTheHand
03-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi all,

Somebody please help me, because I'm getting crazy at this :banghead:
While coding, I love to use the contextual help feature of Excel, to look up objects, methods, properties, etc. Most often, clicking on a word and hitting F1 brings me what I need.

But sometimes all I get is a blank grey window. Today I wanted to look up ADODB.Recordset. I know that ADODB has a built-in help, because I have used it before, but I can't, for my life, display it now. I'm totally out of ideas.

Can someone please explain me where those help files hide, why they do not display, whey you need them most ???
:help:help:help

Thanks

Jimmy

mdmackillop
03-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I often had the problem of inaccessible help in Office 2000. No Idea what caused it, but the fix was going to the Task Manager Ctrl+Alt+Delete and deleting BOTH msohelp processes that were running.

Bob Phillips
03-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Today I wanted to look up ADODB.Recordset. I know that ADODB has a built-in help, because I have used it before, but I can't, for my life, display it now.

You do? I can't, and I am not surprised because ADODB is not part of Excel, and it is not part of VBA.

JimmyTheHand
03-13-2007, 02:10 AM
Thank you guys for the responses.

MD,
this is Office 2003, and I think mine is not that kind of problem, However, your advice is still very useful, as I sometimes have to work with Office 2000, and had that particular problem countless times. Now I know how to solve it :thumb

As for the present problem, actually, I was thinking about something like what is shown in the picture below. In my office I can display ADO and DAO reference through VBE menu Help, and get the contextual help for ADODB objects by pressing F1, but at home I can't. At both site I have the same version of Office. I'm still looking for the difference...

mdmackillop
03-13-2007, 12:03 PM
This looks like Visual Basic help, not Office help