PDA

View Full Version : Username and Password

Gunnerp245
03-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Can Excel files be configured to request a username and password when executed?

What I have.
I have had designed a Excel workbook (called Tracker) to track document movement from office to office/ person to person. Tracker is configured as a shared file on a company server. Tracker can tell me who by name has made notations ie. date and person who received the document. This has been accomplished by giving access by username. For example; UserA signs on to his computer as UserA. Then executes Tracker via a shortcut to Tracker. Any entries he makes are attributed to UserA. However if UserB makes annotations on Tracker executed by UserA the changes are attributed to UserA. I could have UserA sign off his computer and then have UserB sign on, but this is time consuming and wastes UserA's time while UserB is annotating Tracker.

My problem.
I have some field/warehouse users that pick up documents at a location separate from their work area. They regularly 'forget' to log the documents when they return to their work area.:dunno

What I want.
I desire them to annotate Tracker at the location they retreive the documents to prevent them 'forgetting' to log the documents when they return to their work location. :think:

Gunner...

Simon Lloyd
03-18-2007, 04:26 PM
you could track them by machine name instead using environ("computername") regards,
Simon

Gunnerp245
03-24-2007, 04:51 AM
How is machine name going to help me determine which person signed the tracker?

Bob Phillips
03-24-2007, 07:16 AM
If you allow people to use other people's logged in sessions, you will get this problem. Can't see how it can be avoided.

Simon Lloyd
03-24-2007, 11:29 AM
The machine name won't help you actually track who signed, but with the username and machinename you will be able to pin it down to a location, and that may help you in tackiling the problem...........there is no way you can prevent someone from logging in and allowing someone else to use thier login other than only allowing certain things to be signed for by a specific login!

Regards,
SImon

Gunnerp245
03-25-2007, 11:19 AM
On another site I found this, which I believe is what I want.
Gunner...:thumb

Bob Phillips
03-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Well, it must be us then because I would never have guessed from your question that you wanted to just stop access unless they passed a simple password test.

Bob Phillips
03-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Oh, and what a good idea, publishing the passwords on a worksheet!

Gunnerp245
03-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks all. Good Bye.

Simon Lloyd
03-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Just an added note before you go!, that workbook still doesnt cure your problem......try this idiot test....open the workbook and enter the username and password.....walk away from the machine......now when you return pretend you are someone else and start using the program!

Get it?..............if someone has loged on and left it on then anyone can use it......so still doesnt cure your probem!

Regards,
Simon