PDA

View Full Version : User accounts in a database

NFFC_Evans
04-22-2007, 10:06 AM
I was wondering if anybody knew of a method of implementing a 'user' structure to a database in access. For example I currently have password protection on my database, but the added security of a login ID and security levels for different users would be useful. I realise this is a big ask, so the smallest bit of information would be appreciated! thank you!

asingh
04-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Hi,

what are the different levels...that you would want to implement...That would be a good place to start. User name ; passwords ; levels ; authentication success/failure can all be stored in the native access tables...!

OBP
04-23-2007, 01:53 AM
NFFC_Evans, in fact it is a very small ask.
Just implement Access's standard Security by using the Security Wizard to "Secure" the database.
That will allow "Individual Log-on and Passwords", total control over who can do what in the database and also allow the development of logging of who makes what entries or changes to records.
To get to the Security Wizard from the Access Main Menu click Tools>Security>User-Level Security Wizard.

stanl
04-23-2007, 06:46 AM
From experience, if you are going to allow user access through code only then Asingh's method is preferable. For each .mdb, Access keeps a corresponding .ldb which holds locks and user etc... this can be quite an unruly file which is why many stay away from Access for concurrent multi-use.
.02 Stan