PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Theory/Explanation/Benefits; Filldown vs. Copy

YellowLabPro
04-22-2007, 02:14 PM
I am interested to know what the real differences are between Filldown and Copy. I have looked around and found nothing more than what they do. I have some memory issues w/ the amount of data I am working with, I use Filldown, Copy is not solving it, but it offered me the opportunity to pose this to the board here for a more indepth look at the differences/benefits of one over the other.

Paul_Hossler
04-23-2007, 06:55 PM
AFAIK, Fill uses any list from Tools, Options, Custom Lists to do a "smart" fill, while Copy just does a "dumb" fill.

Ex. Put "Mon" in A1, and Fill Down by dragging the little black square for some rows. You get Tue, Wed, etc. The DOW are in the CustomList list:think:

Put a 1 in A1, Drag the little square, and all you get a 1's since '1', etc. is not in the list. If you put a 2 in A2, select both, and use the little square, you get 1,2,3,4,5,...

You can add or import you own Custom Lists to make it more convienent to use, e.g. I loaded my organization codes and Fill will build the list of org codes, including restarting the list depending on the number of entries and the size of the drag.

HTH,

Paul

YellowLabPro
04-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks Paul,
That helps sort it out.
What do you mean DOW here?

The DOW are in the CustomList list:think:
From your explanation, Copy or Filldown then do not use any less or more system resources?

YLP

Brandtrock
04-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Days Of Week.

YellowLabPro
04-23-2007, 11:32 PM
ahhhhh, thanks Brand