PDA

View Full Version : Vista vs XP

Cyberdude
04-29-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm thinking about getting a new PC, and one of the options (at Dell) is to get either Win XP or Vista for the OS.

If YOU were choosing, which would be the better choice at this time? Why?

Bob Phillips
04-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Personally, I had problems with drivers in Vista, so I don't use it (I had it on a separate Virtual machine), and I think others have found similar problems. But don't Dell give you a free Vista upgrade still (just a handling charge)?

Cyberdude
04-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanx for the reply, Bob. Your answer seems to be falling in line with others I've gotten. As for the Dell free update, I didn't check out, ... but I will!

Ken Puls
05-01-2007, 09:18 AM
I just bought a new PC for my wife, and we're running Vista Home Premium on it. Works very nicely, and is quite pretty, even if there are lot's of extra "are you sure" prompts.

With regards to Drivers, if Dell is selling you one with Vista pre-installed, it will have the correct drivers on it already. How many peripherals do you have?

Personally, I like to make sure that I've always got access to the most current OS because I know I'll eventually want to put it on. I've kicked myself once before for getting an older OS to ship on the PC.

fumei
05-03-2007, 05:13 AM
Sorry, but I don't get it. But then it may be because I don't do a lot of fancy media stuff. AND I have my files well organized so I don't really need to fast advanced search features. But I see (for myself) no need whatsoever for Vista.

I don't care about pretty, so that is not a factor. The search capabilities ARE better, but that is about it as far as I'm concerned. I went through Microsoft's WOW list for Vista and 90% of it I thought...um, no, I don't use that.

However, with a new computer from Dell I would think that they would have drivers for their own stuff. It is drivers for YOUR stuff that you may install that may be an issue.

Oh and all those "are you sure" prompts would drive me nuts. I have looked at a friend's Vista machine and I think I would put a hammer through it in a day. No thanks.

Ken Puls
05-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Oh and all those "are you sure" prompts would drive me nuts. I have looked at a friend's Vista machine and I think I would put a hammer through it in a day. No thanks.

LOL! The thing that really gets my goat with them is that they also make the screen flash black temporarily, just to really get your attention when you're trying to install something. To me, this would be fine if you could at least give me the "don't bug me about this again" message, but they intentionally skipped that part.

All in all, the biggest wow factor for me is the ReadyBoost (USB stick = more RAM) factor. Beyond that though, I could have happily stayed on XP. I just like to make sure I'm up to date, as I plan to hold on to the new PC for a few years, and in that time we will see softeware released that is Vista only.

blue_bogdan
05-11-2007, 06:46 AM
LOL! The thing that really gets my goat with them is that they also make the screen flash black temporarily, just to really get your attention when you're trying to install something. To me, this would be fine if you could at least give me the "don't bug me about this again" message, but they intentionally skipped that part.

All in all, the biggest wow factor for me is the ReadyBoost (USB stick = more RAM) factor. Beyond that though, I could have happily stayed on XP. I just like to make sure I'm up to date, as I plan to hold on to the new PC for a few years, and in that time we will see softeware released that is Vista only.

well... have been already running Vista for some time as a single os... and have gathered the following:

If you are not a power user / admin there is no way to remove the nagging 'Are you sure you want to do that' and be asked for the administrator password every time you want something installed...
There are still some issues with some programs...Currently running Vista Ultimate (Home PC)...

Zack Barresse
05-14-2007, 11:16 AM
My 2 cents..

I only use Vista on one partition of my laptop
I am an administrator
I do not run any peripherals from that OS
It is a standalone OS
I am the only one using it

In its own little world, it works great for me. I love the DreamScapes and memory boost Ken mentioned. I've had no more problems with videos (as I had with XP) and it does look much more elegant.

I still maintain XP on my 1st laptop partition and the home pc. I find it is more stable if any/all of the above criteria is not met.

Ken Puls
05-16-2007, 09:08 AM
If you are not a power user / admin there is no way to remove the nagging 'Are you sure you want to do that' and be asked for the administrator password every time you want something installed...

And if you are, there is? My understanding is that this was built in at design time, and could not be changed? :dunno

blue_bogdan
05-17-2007, 12:24 AM
And if you are, there is? My understanding is that this was built in at design time, and could not be changed? :dunno

Yes, it can be done... found it in a magazine, i think, applied it and removed the nagging stuf...

If you wish later today i'll translate the article and post it here.

Thank You.

Ken Puls
05-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Yes, it can be done... found it in a magazine, i think, applied it and removed the nagging stuf...

If you wish later today i'll translate the article and post it here.

Thank You.

Yes, please do! :)

Brandtrock
05-18-2007, 01:18 AM
Not running Vista yet. From all acounts, I am probably glad I'm not. I tend toward expensive tantrums when things go poorly (and I haven't designed them :bug: ). In any case, a buddy of mine (Mac enthusiast no doubt.) sent this to me:

Although I've never had an issue with XP.

blue_bogdan
05-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Do here goes nothing....
The Shortest way.... but without a good AntiVirus and firewall is a NO-NO:

Before you proceed with the below step Please be advised that by doing this will not be able to install/uninstall from the current user unless the user is an administrator... the sistem will not promt for the password...

Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Turn User Account Control on or off > Use UAC to help protect your computer (Un-check)

Be advised that you do this at your own risk.

Cyberdude
05-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Geez, great discussions. If anyone else has something to say from time to time, PLEASE add to this thread for ALL to see.
Sid

Ken Puls
05-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Turn User Account Control on or off > Use UAC to help protect your computer (Un-check)

Ah, right. Sorry, I knew about that one. I was hoping it was a reg hack to deal with the specific issue. I didn't really want to turn off the whole UAC portion in it's entirety.

Appreciate your posting back though. :yes