PDA

View Full Version : cannot connect to Belkin WiFi Router from laptop network card

crmpicco
05-12-2007, 02:12 PM
I would very much appreciate any help with this issue.

Basically, I have a Samsung V25 Laptop with built-in Wireless Card. I have also got a Belkin Wireless Router - "ADSL2+ Modem with Wireless-G Router". ( http://www.hardwareplus.com.tr/content_images2/dfqh4rt1llqf12sx60fkpb9yizcmvaq0.jpg ). It's very similar to that, except I have only one aerial.

However, when going through the 'Quick Start Guide' and getting to the step to open my browser (after plugging the Ethernet Cable into my Network Card) and go to '192.168.2.1' it doesn't connect and just displays the server error message...not connected...blah blah...you know the one. After going to that page i'm supposed to be given a Wizard to setup my router. But, obviously i'm not getting that.

The guide states that if I don't get to the Wizard then my computer may have an IP address manually applied to the card??? It says i need to go into my Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) settings and enter my IP Address, SubNet Mask, Default Gateway, Preferred DNS Server and Alternate DNS Server.

Now, when I go into 'Network Connections' in the CP the details pane down the left-hand side shows my IP as 169.254.151.97 and SubNet Mask as 255.255.0.0 but no Gateway/DNS Servers??

What am I doing wrong? I've not had a chance to enter my username/password from my ISP (Virgin Media) at this stage.

Help is much appreciated on this problem, spent ages trying different values in the IP settings - but not got very far. I've resert the router from the button on the back as well.

Picco

Zack Barresse
05-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi there,

When you open a web browser (either IE or Firefox) and go to the address of 192.168.0.1 you should get to your router from there. You do have an ethernet cat5 cable connected from your computers ethernet port to the correct port on the router, yes? You should have documentation with this router and it will give you a diagram and tell you which port you should hook things up to.

Once you have that and go to the address indicated go to the home page. Scroll to the bottom. What exactly do you see? Does it show a connection that is "Down"? Do you have a customize button below that?

We'll get you there, but just to let you know, you're going to have to set it up manually with this particular belkin. You may spend some time searching, but in the end it's quite easy. I've done the same thing.