PDA

View Full Version : Installer for Macro

pannai
05-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi
I have set of macros. There are many users currently using the previous version of the macros. I want to update those macros. So I want to create an installer and while installing select the excel file and update the macro in the selected workbook. Can anyone help

Thanks

Regards
Pannai

johnske
05-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Yes, provided the VBA project in these workbooks is not password protected this is a relatively simple operation. But more details are required, do all these workbooks have the same name, and how is this to be distributed, do you intend to notify users that there is an update for their code and to give them the option to update or not?

What do you mean by an "installer"? A workbook with a Workbook_Open event to update the macros perhaps?

pannai
05-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi
I would like to create an .exe program. By running that exe, user can select the target file, and I need all the macros in the target file to be updated and add new macros if any.

All workbooks may or may not have the same name.

Pls tell me which is the best to acheive this

Thanks

johnske
05-21-2007, 12:38 AM
You can do all this from another workbook but if you want an EXE file - sorry, you're posting in the wrong forum

Bob Phillips
05-21-2007, 01:23 AM
Not a good idea to update the code on the fly. Why not just overwrite the whole file with an updated version. A free installer, such as INNO, could be used to deploy the new version.