PDA

View Full Version : Solved: vb.net problem with resizing forms on some PCs

Jacob Hilderbrand
05-29-2007, 04:31 PM
I am having a strange issue on a few PCs. I have a form that I use to display various data, so depending on what is being displayed I hide certain controls and resize the form (so there is no unused space).

This works fine but on a couple of PCs the resizing is covering up too much of the form.

So for example if I set the Height to 400, on 99% of the PCs regardless of resolution, it does just what I want, but on a couple PCs that same 400 Height cuts off more of the form than I want.

My PC (which works fine) has resolution of 1024x768. One PC that does not work is also a desktop with the same resolution. The other with a problem is a laptop with higher resoltion 1400xsomething.

I am not sure what setting could be messing this up.

Also on the PCs that are having the problem, some Windows forms do the same thing. For example the vb.net clickonce popup (that shows there is an update for an application) also gets cutoff.

I can always just not resize the forms, but I am curious as to the cause of this.

Jacob Hilderbrand
05-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Pic #2.

Jacob Hilderbrand
05-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Strange, I also changed it so the height was a function of the other controls, i.e.

Frm.Height = Frame.Top + Frame.Height

etc.

And it was still chopped off. If I have it display the height and top of the controls it is correct, just not drawn correct.

Tommy
05-30-2007, 06:18 AM
It looks like the fonts that are installed with ie7 are the culprit. They sure do look good but they use more room.

I would check to make sure the font that was used in the form was installed on the user machines, same date and everything like that.

Jacob Hilderbrand
05-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Looks like it was the default "Microsoft Sans Serif" that was causing the problem. I changed it to Tahoma and it was working fine (on at least one of the problem PCs, I will be checking the other one later).