PDA

View Full Version : VBA to open spreadsheet (name dynamic through var call), extract and process data

mix01
05-30-2007, 03:49 AM
Hi,
I am trying to get some VBA code working, but am preplex as to why it does not work. I would really appreciate any level of help.
Many thanks,
Mix01

Version of the program

Microsoft Excel 2003 Professional / Microsoft Visual Basic 6.3 version 9969 (VBA Retail 6.4.8869 / Forms3: 11.0.5601)

Purpose
There are a list of spreadsheet filepaths on worksheet AUTD, workbook TL7.xls. The code below should start at the top of this range and work its way through, opening a spreadsheet (name stored in variable 'AuthSheetName'), activate the 'AUT' worksheet, and extracting the last line of data on that worksheet (before any whitespace). The data includes two date fields, and two text fields.
Next, the background spreadsheet 'TL7.xls' should become activate, and the extrated data from the AUT worksheet from the background spreadsheet should be written onto the next available line (specified through a value, 'NextEntry') on the AUTD worksheet, workbook TL7.xls.
Once this is complete the background spreadsheet from which the data was originally extracted should close, and the next spreadsheet within the given range should open.
This process should go on until the conditions specified in the code below are met.

Code

Sub StoreAuthData1()
Dim NextEntry As Integer

' 1. AuthSheetName is a dynamic spreadsheet name. The value is retrieved and
' used to open a given spreadsheet.
Dim AuthSheetName As String
Dim AUTROW, Col As Integer
Dim ThisRow As Long

'2. dont show spreadsheet processing
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

ThisRow = 13

'3. set condition
Do While ThisRow < 350
Workbooks("TL7.xls").Worksheets("AUTL").Activate

'4. Cells(ThisRow, 1).value refers to the value of cell "Row"/Column A,
'which trimmed spreadsheet names are held in
AuthSheetName = Worksheets("AUTL").Cells(ThisRow, 1).Value

'5. keep going until blank is found
If IsNull(AuthSheetName) Or Len(AuthSheetName) <= 0 Then Exit Do

'6. where to get the AuthSheetName data from
Workbooks.Open AuthSheetName
Workbooks(AuthSheetName).Worksheets("AUT").Activate
AUTROW = Worksheets("AUT").Cells(1, "E").Value - 1

'7. NextEntry is a dynamic value on AUTL worksheet that finds next blank line
'to put data from AUT data in on the AUTD worksheet. This is done through a cell
'formula on the AUTL worksheet =COUNTA(AUTD!B1:B3722)+1
NextEntry = Workbooks("TL7.xls").Worksheets("AUTL").Cells(1, "I").Value

'8. put the AUT data in AUTL worksheet
For Col = 1 To 3
Workbooks("TL7.xls").Worksheets("AUTD").Cells(NextEntry, Col + 1).Value = _
Worksheets("AUT").Cells(AUTROW, Col).Value
Next Col

Workbooks(AuthSheetName).Close
'9. programmerCount declared globally.
Workbooks("TL7.xls").Worksheets("AUTD").Cells(NextEntry, "A").Value = _
Workbooks("TL7.xls").Worksheets("AUTL").Cells(programmerCount + 13, 4).Value

'10. increment
ThisRow = ThisRow + 1
Loop

MsgBox "Authorisation complete.", vbInformation
End Sub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The code below is a function that trims the full filepath a given spreadsheet. The result of "Z:\Shortcuts1\System\Trial\TSAB.xls" would be "TSAB.xls". Refers to comment 4, above.

Function FunctionGetFileName(FullPath As String)
Dim StrFind As String
Do Until Left(StrFind, 1) = "\"
iCount = iCount + 1
StrFind = Right(FullPath, iCount)
If iCount = Len(FullPath) Then Exit Do
Loop

FunctionGetFileName = Right(StrFind, Len(StrFind) - 1)

End Function

Expected output
Should write the data to the AUTD worksheet.

Error messages
Run-time error '1004':
'TSTAB.xls' could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct.
The process is stopping when it tries to open the spreadsheet name assigned by the variable and thus is not extracting or writing any data.
The code was working before, however VBA gave an unexpected error and shut down. I had saved the code and tried again and this is the error I get now.

Other information
I have tried removing the variable call in the Workbook open line and replacing with both the trimmed filename and the full filepath. Both do not work.
Note - the file TSAB.xls is in the given directory. It has not been moved even though it is giving the error that it is not in that location.

As a side, Im working on adding extra functionality to the above eventually. In brief, it will need to check a week ending value in the spreadsheets it is opening and closing, and validate this against a week ending date on the AUTD worksheet / TL7.xls spreadsheet. There is also a requirement to add an 'X' to cells to the right of the spreadsheet filepaths on the AUTD worksheet, for each week ending, when the above process has been completed for each spreadsheet, to show the process has been completed - in essence a checklist, of sorts..
I am currently working on this functionality, I am making slow progress between the hours of my job. If any of you are feeling extra kind and generous, I would appreciate any rough ideas for how I should approach this. :D

Many thanks for your time.
Mix01

Edited 1-Jun-07 by geekgirlau. Reason: insert line breaks

geekgirlau
05-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Is the full path of the workbook listed in column A?