PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Weird Error Message

Djblois
05-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Whenever, I start Excel at work I get an error message with Visual Basic in the toolbar and all it says is file not found. Can anyone help me because it is very annoying.

Daniel

Bob Phillips
05-30-2007, 01:59 PM
More detail.

Djblois
05-30-2007, 03:18 PM
I dont what else to tell, that is why I find it weird that is all the detail that I have. It happens everytime I open Excel. I have tried deleting all the add-ins in my personal Add-in folder. I don't know what else to try. and I don't mean visual basic in the toolbar, I mean visaul basic in the Caption.

mdmackillop
05-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Have you checked Personal.xls or other files in XLStart for code which may be running?

Paul_Hossler
05-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Try starting Excel in Safe Mode and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then there's probably a file in one of Excel's startup locations that's broke or being referenced.

Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291288/en-us

/s, /safemode Forces Excel to bypass all files in the Application Data\Microsoft\Xlstart folder, the default XLStart folder located in the directory where Excel or Office is installed, and the alternate startup file location specified on the General tab of the Excel Options dialog box.

It also forces Excel to bypass the toolbar file (Excel.xlb or <username>.xlb). You see "Safe Mode" in the Excel title bar. Use this switch when you want to start Excel in safe mode.

Start, Run ... "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /s

Paul

lucas
05-30-2007, 08:27 PM
You might try going to help-about Microsoft Office Excel. When the dialog opens look at the bottom right for a button that says "disabled items" See if any files are listed there....someone pointed it out to me some time back (Ken Puls I think) and it solved a similar problem for me.

Djblois
05-31-2007, 05:51 AM
Thanks all for the help, it was in the startup folder. There were 3 items without file extensions.