PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Running VBA as Low Priority

markh1182
06-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Hi, I have code that creates a table based on parameters passed through a stored procedure.

If it has to get back a lot of data, Word can be running at up to 100% of CPU usage in Task Manager.

Is it therefore possible to be able to have the code running as lower priority, and therefore freeing up the CPU so users can carry on working?

Thanks, Mark

Ebrow
06-12-2007, 05:24 AM
Hi.

You could insert a DoEvents in to your code (where there is an intensive loop). However this can be risky depending on what your code is doing. But worth a try.

markh1182
06-12-2007, 06:21 AM
Hi, my code is looping through a set of records produced for grabbing data from a stored procedure, and inserting them into a table that the macro creates as it loops through each field of the data it returns.

I haven't used DoEvents before so am unsure as what to do.

Ebrow
06-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Just add DoEvents as a line of code. Insert it in the code were the it loops through each record and places the data.

Give it a shot. It might make no difference, or could cause other problems.

I would be interested in the "real" answer to your question.

Ebrow
06-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Example

Do
'do this
'do that
'do this aswell
'might as well do this too
DoEvents
Loop Until somethinghappens

markh1182
06-20-2007, 03:23 AM
unfortunately that does not make a difference.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I did find a knowledgebase article for terminating a process so not sure if that could be amended to change priority.

markh1182
06-20-2007, 04:14 AM
Following on from my previous entry I have amended the code found in kbase for terminating a process and the following gives you the number of the corresponding priority, but not sure how to then update to set the priority to low:

8 = Normal
4 = Low for the priority values

Sub ProcessPriority()
Dim strProcessName As String 'The variable to hold the process
Dim objWMIcimv2 As Object
Dim objProcess As Object
Dim objList As Object
Dim intError As Integer

strProcessName = "notepad.exe" 'Process, change notepad.exe to the process you want

Set objWMIcimv2 = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2") 'Connect to CIMV2 Namespace

Set objList = objWMIcimv2.ExecQuery _
("select * from win32_process where name='" & strProcessName & "'") 'Find the process

If objList.Count = 0 Then 'If 0 then process isn't running
MsgBox strProcessName & " is NOT running." & vbCr & vbCr _
& "Exiting procedure.", vbCritical, "Unable to continue"
Set objWMIcimv2 = Nothing
Set objList = Nothing
Set objProcess = Nothing
Exit Sub
Else

For Each objProcess In objList

MsgBox objProcess.Priority 'Priority of process

Next

Set objWMIcimv2 = Nothing
Set objList = Nothing
Set objProcess = Nothing
Exit Sub

End If

End Sub

markh1182
06-21-2007, 03:57 AM
Solved this one. Needed to add a CONST in for BELOW_NORMAL = 16384 and then add in a line in my FOR section objProcess.SetPriority (BELOW_NORMAL).