PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Strange VBE - problem

tommy bak
11-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Hi

Running danish winXP/excelXP
I have a strange "problem" in my VBE-edtor.
Looking in project-explorer I can see VBA-projects belonging to files that has been closed.
I can even edit the code.
If I open a file , close it and open it again, the VBA-project is twice in the project-explorer.
This also happens on my labtop (english winXP/excelXP)
When I used win98 and win2000 this was not a problem.
Anyone seen this before ? (and can anything be done ?)

TIA
Tommy Bak

CBrine
11-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Tommy,

I noticed the exact same thing back about 2 weeks ago, and posted to MrExcel. I can't find the post for some reason, but the responses I recieved we basically saying "Yeah, the same thing happens to me". I haven't checked the msdn site, but it's a pretty minor annoyance. Although the day I noticed it I had opened about 50 workbooks with macro's and they were all still there after I closed them, including being able to view the code???

PS: Running Win2000, Office 2003

tommy bak
11-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks CBrine, allway nice to know that I'm not the only one with this problem.

I'm a little surpriced that you expirienced the problem with win2000, as it first started here when I moved to winXP, but maybe I didn't notice it before.

Br
Tommy Bak

CBrine
11-18-2004, 01:09 PM
I don't think it was happen to me with Win98 and Office 97. I upgraded to Win 2000 and Office 2003 at the same time, so didn't do the transition you did. Of course it took me about 4 months to notices it as well.
Personal macro workbook, addins for html, for BBcode, personal addins, etc... tend to make my project explorer a pretty messy place anyway.:D

tommy bak
11-18-2004, 01:13 PM
Well, right now I've been testing and the problem also seems to appear in my xl2000 but not in my xl97.
Maybe it's just a setting somewhere in windows or in the registry...

tommy bak
11-18-2004, 01:18 PM
Just tried to run excel.exe /unregserver and excel.exe /regserver .

That didn't help :-)

Richie(UK)
11-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Hi Tommy,

I haven't experienced this particular 'feature' but I have read posts from others with the same problem.

Two suggestions:

1. To clear the ghost projects have you tried using the Reset option (In the VBE Run menu)?

2. Do the workbooks concerned contain references to other workbooks? It seems to help if we follow 'best practice' and set our workbook variables equal to nothing at the end of our routines.

Apart from that I don't really know what else to suggest. Can you create the situation deliberately? For example, is it always particular workbooks that cause the problem? Is there anything special about these workbooks?

CBrine
11-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Here's another strange thing. The sheets I was pulling up a few weeks ago, when I noticed this problem. I tried pulling a few up just now to see if it was a reference problem like Richie suggested. It doesn't seem to be doing it now???

Cal

tommy bak
11-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Hi Richie

I have now tried both your solutions. Reset gives no difference and my project don't have any references. Some don't even have code.
No, I can't create the situation deliberately, but it's there all the time.
I don't think there is anything special about the workbooks.
The only add-inn used is Analysis Toolpak and Person.xls
I'll try to eliminate these
Tommy Bak

tommy bak
11-18-2004, 04:20 PM
No, not even running in safe mode helps.
Depressing :bawl
:deepsleep Have to go to bed now....nearly midnight here in Denmark...

br
Tommy Bak

mvidas
12-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this would apply to your case, but I read about a bug involving the VBE and Google Desktop Search. Apparently if you have this program installed on your computer, the VBE keeps projects that have already been closed, and prompts for the VBAproject password upon closing of those files. Not sure if this is the case for any of you, but figured it couldn't hurt to share.

http://www.dicks-blog.com/archives/2004/12/11/google-desktop/

Matt

tommy bak
12-13-2004, 01:24 PM
YES, mvidas, I think you have hit the solution. I will try this and return...

and correct, I have Google Desktop Search installed on both computers.

regards
Tommy Bak

tommy bak
12-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks mvidas :hi:.
The problem was solved after uninstalling Google desktop.

best regard and a happy x-mas

Tommy Bak