PDA

View Full Version : Access 2007 Compatibility

Djblois
06-13-2007, 09:10 AM
My company uses Access 2003 for a few poorly written databases. However, I need 2007 for a major project. I want my IT department to upgrade our system to Access 2007 but I want to make sure it won't break the already used but poorly written Databases. If I am correct Access Databases are almost like self contained Programs and upgrading would only affect any newly created Databases.

mattj
06-14-2007, 05:54 AM
You shouldn't have too many issues. Acc2007 supports older formats.

Imdabaum
06-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Does it support the older relaxed restrictions? IE poor naming conventions? I just found a database in our miriad of applications (organization is horrid here and I'm still trying to find all the Access apps we use) and it has field names like [ID# Given?] If they upgrade that one to 2007 are their stricter restrictions on the naming conventions for table/field names?

eed
06-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Does it support the older relaxed restrictions? IE poor naming conventions? I just found a database in our miriad of applications (organization is horrid here and I'm still trying to find all the Access apps we use) and it has field names like [ID# Given?] If they upgrade that one to 2007 are their stricter restrictions on the naming conventions for table/field names?

Imdabaum, as long as you don't actually convert the older file (i.e., open and use it in the Access 2007 environment but keep it in the Access 2003 file format), then the file will behave just as it did in the 2003 environment -- except that you will be using the new Office 2007 "ribbon" menu. I am evaluating Access 2007 in my office right now, and all of my 2003 files are functioning completely normally.

Conversion of your files to the new file format might cause some issues or needed changes, depending on the database, but naming conventions at least will not have to change. I tested it just now to verify for you, and I determined that even a new file created in the 2007 format will not prohibit you from using poor naming conventions.

Good luck with 2007; hope you like the "ribbon" better than I do!

~eed

douguk47
06-21-2007, 07:22 AM
I would take care with this one. There are some subtle changes which could trip you up. I suggest you download a trial copy and thoroughly test your existing mdb's

Imdabaum
06-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Thank you all for looking into that for me. I'll be able to pass that on to the supers and let them make the call.

Imdabaum
04-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Okay we upgraded to Access 2007 and one thing we have found is that we can't update the Custom Toolbars that we had built in our 2000-2003 versions. The Custom Toolbars also show up in a weird Add-In menu item instead of showing up like the menu. We'll see how long it takes for users to complain.