PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Look up Values in Access

Djblois
06-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Right now in the Add-in I am using I do many lookups from a srpeadsheet I have created (Using it as a Database) But I am thinking about switching the spreadsheet into access for a few reasons. First, I want to learn Databases in general, second I want to learn access. However, I am just wondering would looking up information from access (in code) run quicker than looking up from another spreadsheet?

Thank you,
Daniel Blois

I still want to learn Access but I want to know this general question.

lucas
06-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Here's a lead for you Daniel:
http://vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13321

austenr
06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
You ask a good question. First of all learning Access and learning Databases are two different things IMHO. Sure Access is a way to get your feet wet in a general way understanding databases and how they work.

That said, learning databases is a broad question especially if you plan on doing any coding in SQL. The languages are dirfferent in some respects. For example, the code you write for a mySQL query would not work in Oracle without some modification. Each have their own nuances you have to adjust to.

However, the basics are still the same, especially the different joins which are critical to understand if you do any querying. A LEFT JOIN is a LEFT JOIN no matter what platform. Access is a good foundation.

As for your question which will run faster, it is probably transparent unless you are executing huge complex queries or connecting to servers outside Access and Excel. Good Luck.

Djblois
06-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Thank you for the help. I know they are 2 different things-In response I have already bought a few books on Designing Databases, Access, and SQL. I have bought a total of 30 something books in the last 2 months on these subjects and many others dealing with VB.net, VBA, General Programming, Access, Excel, etc...

Daniel

Norie
06-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Daniel

What makes you think you would need code?

Djblois
06-13-2007, 12:09 PM
No I don't think I would need code to access the database but I want to add it to my Add-in which creates sales reports (some of the info it gets for the report I keep in an Excel spreadsheet right now but I want to switch to an access database for experience purposes and speed.

While I am on the subject of access, does anyone know if there is compatibility issues between Access 2007 and Access 2003 Databases? I asked this question in the Access section but so far no answer? Here is the link for more information:

http://vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13319

Norie
06-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Daniel

You've lost me here, you want to add the database to your add-in.:o

What I was trying to say is that you might not actually need code to do your 'lookup'.

Access is a database and that sort of functionality is built in.

If you use Excel as a database then you need to code that functionality yourself.

Note I'm not saying you can't or won't need to use VBA in Access.

Djblois
06-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Sorry I didn't explain myself well enough. I will be using An access database in my add-in to add data to a spreadsheet. Wouldn't I need code to do that automatically?