PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Unable to open database on certain PCs

icthus123
06-14-2007, 03:44 AM
I've just set up a database at work. While on most computers you can open the database whether or not someone else has it open on two computers if someone else has the database open you can't open it.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is? I suspect it's something to do with the local settings on the comnputers.

Ebrow
06-14-2007, 04:55 AM
Version Issue?
Security Rights to Database? (i.e Admin/User Accounts)
Security Rights to location of Database? (i.e Read/Write)
Macro Security setting on Access?

mattj
06-14-2007, 05:53 AM
If you are using an Access db for multiple users or concurrent access, the db should be split. THis means that you should have a single "back-end" (and mdb file containing only the tables and relationships) in a shared (network?) location. Then, each user should their own copy of the front-end (another mdb file containing the forms, queries, reports, etc) located on their local pc, that is linked to the tables in the back-end.
You can either do this manually, ie. import all the tables into a new blank db and delete them from the new front end, or you can use the built-in database splitter (Tools > Database Utilities).

HTH
Matt

icthus123
06-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Okay...

But how come at the moment it works on some of the PCs?

mattj
06-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Honestly, pure luck... Your current environment is subject to corruption at any moment, and the issue you're having was simply going to occur sooner or later.
See here: http://www.databasedev.co.uk/split_a_database.html

geekgirlau
06-14-2007, 05:44 PM
In addition to Matt's information, I would suggest that you distribute a shortcut that copies the front-end from a single location on a shared drive to the user's local drive (you can do this with a simple batch file). The front-end is linked to the back-end, but it means you have a simple method for distributing changes, as each time the user runs the shortcut they are getting the most up-to-date copy of the front-end code.

And I'd also suggest that you save the front-end as an MDE file and that this is what your users are running - they don't need direct access to the source code.

icthus123
06-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Right, thanks for your help guys. I have now split the database and put a seperate copy of the front end into each persons personal folder on the server. Is this correct? It seems to be working okay now.

However, I'm not quite sure to do what geekgirlau suggested with the batch files. How would I do this?

mattj
06-15-2007, 04:47 AM
See here http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/autofe.htm for a front end updater. It does pretty much the same thing.

icthus123
06-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Thanks a lot chaps!