PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behaviour from Excel

NewbieUK
06-14-2007, 03:28 PM
HI there - Please forgive me as I am a complete newb when it comes to macros/vba

Sorry to bother you guys but have a query that hopefully someone can help me with - We have a workbook that works as an inventory of documents (ie clicking on a button on the front worksheet takes you to a new worksheet with links to word documents held in the same folder that the workbook is held in). We are about to migrate the server that this sits on to a new server approx 300 miles away (currently it is no more than 30 miles away) but when testing this workbook, it now takes over 3 minutes to open (excel just hangs showing not responding in task manager (I had read somewhere this was due to it likely being under VBA control) where as on the current server it opens within about 5 secs.

My query : is there a way to stop all macros running until after the workbook has loaded (bearing in mind I know next to nothing about VBA)

And if anyone knows anything why this would now taking so long to open then that would be appreciated.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS My apologies if this is not the correct place to post this query.

rbrhodes
06-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi,

To test whether it is macros that are slowing you down I would suggest setting the security level to a higher setting. This will temporarily disbale the code from running. Open the workbook and under Tools/Options/Security you'll see a box labeled 'Macro Security' set it to as higher level then close and re-open the workbook.

If it's still slow thenm it wasn't the VBA.

Cheers,

dr

Bob Phillips
06-15-2007, 01:57 AM
If there are some open macros, you could change them to be button driven, which would need user action to trigger them.

I must admit I have never heard of the problem that you suggest.

Aussiebear
06-15-2007, 02:29 AM
We have a multi sever system at work. On one hand we have a server based in the Abattior, which is meant to take all the traffic from there plus the feedlot some 500 meters away. We do have delays, particularily where lap tops are linked wirelessly.

Then we have servers some 120 klms away to which some of the software is linked, and the elapsed time is frustrating. I don't blame the servers, just the landlines and the modems in the system.

It would seem to me to be a case of the communications rather than any possible VBA issues.